Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) is a free, state-funded program that prepares children for kindergarten. Children must be 4 years old on or before Sept. 1 of the school year in which they are enrolling.
Guided by the Florida Early Learning and Developmental Standards for 4 year olds, the program provides developmentally appropriate activities in literacy, language, science, social studies, math, health and safety, art and music.
Developing skills children need to be strong readers improves their chances success in school. Most classes have 18 to 20 students and are staffed with a certified teacher and a child development associate. Some classes are blended to include students who receive exceptional student education services. Follow your child’s development using the FOURS Child Development Checklist & Tips booklet.
Questions about VPK? Call 727-588-6513
FREE, FULL-DAY VPK FOR THE 2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR!
Beginning Jan. 4, 2021, Pinellas County Schools will offer free, full day VPK at select locations throughout the county. This opportunity is only available for families who have not yet used their VPK Certificate of Eligibility voucher at a VPK program. Seats are available on a first come, first served basis.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN!
REGISTER FOR THE 2021-2022 SCHOOL YEARPlease note that VPK programs have limited availability.
Apply for the VPK Certificate of Eligibility (voucher) beginning Jan. 1, 2021.Visit www.vpkpinellas.net and complete the online application for the Certificate of Eligibilty voucher. For information, please call the Early Learning Coalition at 727-400-4411.
Get your User ID and PasswordGo to any nearby school to obtain a User ID and Password (if
you don’t already have one for another child in your family).
Please be sure to bring a government-issued photo ID.
Apply for a VPK Seat Jan. 19, 2021 – Feb. 1, 2021Log onto the Student Reservation System (SRS), which can be
accessed at reservation.pcsb.org. You may use any computer,
including school computers, to apply for a seat.
View Results of Your Application
March 1, 2021–March 12, 2021Log onto reservation.pcsb.org to find out if your application was
accepted. You must accept an invitation to keep your seat.
Enroll at Assigned School March 22, 2021–April 2, 2021To enroll, bring your Certificate of Eligibility (voucher) and the
following documents to your assigned school:
- Birth Certificate
- Florida Certificate of Immunization
- Physical examination certificate
- Proof of Residency (2 forms of documentation required)
Failure to enroll by April 2 will result in an expired reservation.
- VPK is a free, 540 hour program during the school year that is available at many elementary schools. Students attend free for three hours each day, Monday through Friday.
- VPK + 3 extends the VPK day an additional 3 hours so students attend for the full 6-hour school day. Tuition is $65 per week with a non-refundable registration fee that is applied to the last week's tuition.
- At select locations, the VPK+3 program is supported with Title 1 funding. Qualifying families at these schools do not pay tuition.
- Dual Language VPK is available at Garrison-Jones Elementary, where students spend half the day learning in English and half the day learning in Spanish. Many students in this program apply for the K-5 dual language program at the school.
- Kings Highway Early Childhood Center is located at the Kings Highway Center for Innovation and Digital Learning. The school provides several early childhood programs, including VPK, where students receive violin instruction twice a week and have additional technology in the classrooms.
2021-2022 School Year VPK Sites