Cellular Telephones, Electronic Communication Devices, and Other Electronic Devices
Parents are advised that the best way to get in touch with their child during the school day is by calling the child’s school office. Students may possess a cellular telephone, electronic communication device (ECD), or other electronic device, such as, but not limited to, the following: personal digital assistant (PDA) , portable media player (PMP), iPod, iPad, Kindle, mp3 player, and other devices designed to receive and send an electronic signal, so long as they do so in strict compliance with this policy. Any student who fails to abide by the terms of this policy forfeits any right or privilege to possess any electronic device described in this policy.
Violations of this policy may result in disciplinary action and/or confiscation of the cellular telephone, ECD, or electronic device. If the cellular telephone, ECD, or electronic device is confiscated, it will be released/returned to a parent unless an alternative arrangement is agreed to by the principal (or designee).
- A student may possess a cellular telephone, electronic communication device (ECD), and other electronic devices in school, on school property, at school-related functions, provided these items are powered off and concealed from view while school is in session.
- Students may not use cellular telephones, other ECDs, or other electronic devices on school property or at a school-sponsored activity to access and/or view Internet web sites that are otherwise blocked to students at school.
- When directed by the administrator or sponsor, cellular telephones, ECDs, and other electronic devices shall be powered off, and concealed from view during school activities occurring outside the student day.
- Cellular telephones, ECDs, and other electronic devices are to be powered off, and concealed from view on district buses, except as authorized by the driver.
- The requirement that cellular telephones, ECDs, and other electronic devices must be powered off, and concealed from view will not apply when the student obtains prior approval from a school administrator.
- The use of cellular telephones, ECDs, and other electronic devices in locker rooms, classrooms, bathrooms, and/or swimming pools is prohibited.
- The student who brings a cellular telephone, ECD, or other electronic device to school does so at his/her own risk. The student who possesses a cellular telephone, ECD, or other electronic device is responsible for its care.
- Any cellular telephone, ECD, or other electronic device left behind on a district school bus will be retained at the respective bus compounds until retrieved either by the student or parent possessing proper identification.
- School Board staff is not responsible for preventing theft, loss, damage, or vandalism to cellular telephones, ECDs, or other electronic devices brought onto its property, or left on school buses, including any electronic device confiscated due to inappropriate use.