Our Core Values
Girls on the Run honors its core values. We strive to:
- Recognize our power and responsibility to be intentional in our decision making
- Embrace our differences and find strength in our connectedness
- Express joy, optimism and gratitude through our words, thoughts and actions
- Nurture our physical, emotional and spiritual health
- Lead with an open heart and assume positive intent
- Stand up for ourselves and others
Girls on the Run Greater Tampa Bay is an Affiliate Council of Girls on the Run International, which has a network of over 200 councils across 50 states and the District of Columbia. Girls on the Run Greater Tampa Bay was established in 2008 to serve Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas and Sarasota counties and has had over 2,300+ participants.
Girls on the Run International was established in 1996 in Charlotte, North Carolina by Molly Barker. What started with thirteen girls in one school has grown to over 200 councils in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. With the help of almost 100,000 volunteers, Girls on the Run served nearly 180,000 girls in 2015, including our millionth girl! Girls on the Run continues to grow and currently hosts more than 350 end-of-season 5k events across the United States, making the Girls on the Run 5k series the largest in the country. Girls on the Run has also expanded to include middle school girls through Heart & Sole, a program dedicated to the unique needs of adolescent girls.