Principal's Call Out 8/30/2021
Good evening Jaguar Nation,
We are well on our way into this new school year. Parents thank you so much for working through this challenge of quarantining students. We are Stronger Together!
Car Circle Directions
Beginning October 11th, we will be implementing a new car circle. The car circle and bus circle will flip. All car riding students will be picked up and dropped off in the bus circle (located off 19th Avenue South). Students cannot be picked up on 19th Avenue or 38th Street. The gate on 38th Street will remain closed for car riders and walkers. All walkers will exit the campus on 22nd Avenue or 19th Avenue. Cars cannot park in the middle of the parking lot. Parents must remain in their cars. As we get closer to the start of the new car circle, there will be a link to view the flow of the car circle.
Parents please be sure to keep your contact information updated in Focus so that you will receive all school communications. Please also make sure that you have filled out all of the forms from the first day of school and have returned to your student’s 1st period teacher.
Mrs. Robinson’s Math Class
Mrs. Robinson (7th grade gifted math teacher) is currently out on leave. We are/have attempted to secure a long-term substitute until the return of this teacher. At this time, we do not have a long-term substitute. Tutoring will begin next week (the week of September 7th) to address gaps in learning. Please visit our school website for those dates and times beginning September 7th. Assignments are posted on Canvas for this class. Please submit electronically or to the substitute within the class. Assignments will be graded by a designated person for the student’s grade.
The Tampa Bay Rays have put together a fantastic ticket offer for Pinellas County students, employees, their friends, and families for the Miami Marlins vs. Tampa Bay Rays game on Saturday, September 25, 2021 at 6:10pm. Tickets will be offered for $18 (up to $55 value) In the following seating categories in the Lower Level while supplies last: Lower Box and Lower Reserved. If our school reaches 150 or more tickets sold, we will receive a visit from the Rays Mascot Raymond, and the Rays Street Team on our campus during the fall of 2022.
Please be on the lookout for order forms coming home with your child this week.
Performing Arts (Theater/Band/Chorus)
General Information Meeting
Wednesday Sept 1
Theater – Room 1-121
Chorus – Room 1-128
Band – Room 1-129
All sessions for theater, chorus, and band will have the same information shared. Please attend sessions that match your student’s activities
September Monthly Meeting Credit Will Be Offered!
Dates to Remember (September Parent Monthly Meeting Credit)
September 1st – Band/Chorus/Drama General Meeting – See the times above.
September 14th – SAC parent meeting Teams Meeting (6:00 p.m. – 7:15 p.m.) Must log in by 6:15 p.m. to receive September parent meeting credit. Parents must remain in the meeting the entire time to receive parent meeting credit. Until further notice meetings will be virtual. This meeting will review the School Improvement Plan for 2021-22 and SAC official business (ensuring we have the appropriate members).
All meetings will send a link at 6:15 p.m. for attendance. If you log in late the link will not be visible.
September 16th – PTSA meeting will be on TEAMS from 6:00 p.m. – 7:15 p.m. Must log in by 6:15 p.m. to receive September parent meeting credit. Parents must remain in the meeting the entire meeting to receive credit. Until further notice meetings will be virtual. The meeting will review the School Improvement Plan for 2021-22 and Membership drive.
We will begin Intramural Flag-Football this Fall. The dates will be on Tuesdays after school September 14th through November 2nd. We will play after school from 4:30-5:30. Students will need to be picked up out front of the school by 5:40. There are 3 items of paperwork that need to turned in to Coach Shaw before anyone can participate: Participation Form, Physical Form from the Dr. and County Insurance. The information for the insurance and the Participation Form are attached to this packet. The Physical Form will come from the Dr.
DIRECTIONS FOR ENROLLMENT: https://www.pcsb.org/Page/15271
- Click on "Browse Rates", click on "Pick your state" then select Pinellas County Schools. Under the rate information, click on the Brochure (English or Spanish) if you want to view the high/low benefit plans before making your purchase.
- Open New Account - Create an account with a User ID and Password. (You must create a new account each school year.) Remember your User ID and Password for future reference and to reprint ID cards if necessary.
- Add Student & Coverage by clicking the "Add Student" button on the top of the page. Continue to add each student by clicking on the "Add Student" button until all your students are added.
- Click on "Add Selected Items to Shopping Cart" then select "Checkout".
- Select your payment type and click "Continue Checkout". Pay by credit card or e-check. If you do not have a credit card or checking account, contact the local office at 727-656-6980 for assistance.
- Enter billing information and click "Continue Checkout".
- Click "Pay and View Receipt" to complete your order. to print your ID card, click on Return to My Account at the bottom of the screen. You will also receive a confirmation email with the ID card.
- Provide a copy of the ID card to the Coach as proof of enrollment.
The information shared below comes directly from the fundamental school parent/ guardian commitment agreement. A sign and return document will be sent home to all 6th grade students and students new to TMFMS as a refresher of the school requirements for the ‘21/’22 school year. We will address these items in classes as well.
Fundamental schools are schools of choice and membership in fundamental schools is a privilege. Fundamental schools are designed for students who work best where expectations are clearly defined. Participation by parents/guardians is also a requirement. Students may be returned to their zoned school for failing to comply with the fundamental school policies as outlined in the Parent/Student Handbook and the School Board Approved Procedures for District Application. Each parent/guardian is required to sign and comply with the following agreement for each child attending a fundamental school. As the parent/guardian of a student in this fundamental program, a student’s continued enrollment in a fundamental school depends upon the cooperation of parents/guardians in this educational philosophy. Fundamental school parents/guardians and students are expected to comply with all the following commitments:
- Sign the parent/guardian commitment agreement affirming, in writing, that they will abide by all policies, procedures and rules of the school as a condition of enrollment.
- Adhere to the parent/guardian requirements concerning attendance at Parent-Teacher Association (PTA), Parent Teacher-Student Association (PTSA), School Advisory Council (SAC) or other approved meetings.
- Attend parent/teacher conferences, when requested.
- Adhere to the Homework/Classwork Guidelines, and Discipline Guidelines.
- Review and sign all homework assignments and agenda book.
- Understand that reassignment of a student to a district discipline program or expulsion will result in immediate removal from the school; no readmission will be considered.
- Provide timely transportation to and from school and furnish transportation for any before/after school activities, including detention.
Additionally, committed to support the following polices:
- To be present and on time to the mandatory monthly parent meetings and sign in.
- To have your child adhere to the fundamental school dress code.
- To review, sign and return all nightly homework.
- To have your child follow the fundamental school disciplinary practices.
- To provide all transportation to and from school in a timely manner.
Thurgood Marshall Fundamental Middle School PTSA supports this Mission of the National PTA by supporting school and district programs, supporting the school community through family events, and giving direct help to our teachers and staff. We will continue to provide an excellent learning experience for our students with the support of our members.
Thank you, parents, and teachers who have become a member of TMFMS PTSA. As a member of the TMFMS PTSA, you are a voice for our kids and part of the largest child advocacy program in the world. Whether a new PTSA member or a returning member, we thank you for your contributions, time, and commitment to our organization, our teachers, and most importantly, our students! By joining PTSA, you will receive voting rights at meetings and an online school directory. Become a member today! Join online: https://tmfms.memberhub.com/store Mail a check (payable to TMFMS PTSA 3901 22nd Ave S, St. Petersburg FL 33711 (Be sure to include your name, phone number, email address and your student’s name/grade.
At this time, we are also seeking donations, although we do have a “traditional” fundraiser scheduled, with no fundraisers last year and the future unknown, we need your help more than ever!
We are kicking off our “Just Write a Check” campaign and are hoping to raise $5000 before the end of August.
If you can donate, please do so at https://tmfms.memberhub.com/store or send a check (payable to TMFMS PTSA) to the school – be sure to include your student’s name. For each $25 you donate, your child’s name will be entered into a drawing (to be held at the September 16th - PTSA General Meeting) for prizes.