Week of August 19
Good evening TSHS Learning Community,
It has been a great week at TSHS. Students and staff have settled well into a routine. The 2019/20 school year is off to such a positive start ... Go Spongers!!!
Here are the announcements and reminders for all students and their families.
School Focus for 2019/20
With a year of construction on campus last year and a bit of an upset to our daily routines, the 2018/19 student achievement results from state testing were some of the strongest data points TSHS received. On behalf of the faculty and staff, congratulations and thank you to our students for their efforts and commitment. We showed improvement in 6 of the 10 areas on the state’s school grade formula and made considerable progress in Math with learning gains.
This year, TSHS will continue to focus on curriculum as the cornerstone. We will also focus on enhancing extra-curricular activities, athletic programs, student clubs and organizations to support a well-rounded student, one who is college and career ready.
It is extremely critical that academics serve as the foundation for all students and their extra-curricular involvements are tailored to build upon each student’s specific abilities, interests and needs. TSHS is committed to executing excellence for all and we are looking forward to working with all our students and families this year.
Administrative and Guidance Teams
9th Grade Mr. Skelly & Mrs. Lashire *Mrs. Lashire will be joining staff on Aug. 28
10th Grade Mr. Natoli & Mrs. Jackson-Stuart
11th Grade Mrs. Lennox & Mrs. Kamajian
12th Grade Mr. Decatur & Ms. Brown
Student Services Team
· Guidance Clerk Mr. Hicks
· Administrative Clerk Mrs. Hewett
· Front Office Desk Mr. Mack & Mrs. Farag
· Records & Transcripts Mrs. Casias & Mrs. Elgawly
· Bookkeeping Mrs. Sprecher & Mrs. Brown
· Social Worker Ms. Athanastatos
· School Psychologist Mr. Larson
· SROs Officer Trinidad & Officer Theil
· Schedule change requests are in process and the Guidance Team will be notifying students when the requests are complete. The goal is to have the requests processed by Tuesday, August 27.
School – Home Communication
· Principal Weekly Newsletter – email
· Tarpon Springs High – Facebook
· Twitter - @spongernation
Student Dress Code
· All students are expected to follow the PCS Code of Student Conduct Dress Code. Beginning August 26, students out of compliance will be referred to their grade level administrator and consequences may be assigned. Your support is appreciated with this important policy.
Student Absences & Tardy to Class Procedures
· Students who are absent from school are required to submit a note to the office upon their return. Notes may be submitted to Mrs. Farag, downstairs in the Administration Building. Students who are absent from school are entitled to make up missed work. (1) day per every day absent is allotted to students to complete/submit their makeup work to their teacher for full credit.
· Students who are late to school are required to sign in at the Front Office upon their arrival to campus and obtain a tardy pass.
· Students who are on campus but arrive late to class are required to obtain a tardy pass. 4 or more unexcused tardies to any class during a quarter will result in a referral to their grade level administrator. Consequences may be assigned.
· We are in the process of updating the school’s website with current resources and information for families. Thank you for your patience as we complete the upgrades over the next week.
Important Dates* Event details will be forthcoming
· Open House – Wednesday, September 18 @ 6:00 p.m.
· Quarter 1 Midterms Sept. 20 - 27
· PSAT/NMSQT Oct. 16
· Senior Photos on Campus: Aug. 31
· Homecoming Week Sept. 9 – 13
· Homecoming Parade Sept. 13
· Homecoming Game Sept. 13
· Homecoming Dance Sept 14
· Freshmen Parent Night: Sept. 16
· Bars & Letters Honors Breakfast Sept. 20
· Junior Parent Night: Oct. 7
· College and Career Fair Oct 10
Fall Athletic Schedule – see attached