Week of October 1
Good evening TSHS Learning Community,
It has been a productive week on campus. Students are in class and ready for learning at the bell. We have worked hard to increase student time on task this year and it shows within the classroom. I am very proud of the hard work and efforts. Reminder to all families – TSHS offers after school tutoring Monday thru Thursday for all students.
Here are the announcements and reminders for all students and their families for the week beginning Sept. 30 thru Oct. 4.
· Common Assessments
- Oct. 1 – 10th for Bio, US History, Algebra and Geometry classes
- Data from the cycle assessments will be uploaded into the Personalized Learning Platform – PLP. This resource is designed to provide targeted support for students in accordance using the cycle data scores. See attached flyer for PLP access using Clever.
· Future Business Leaders of America – FBLA Club & Key Club
- Students are working hard to design club shirts for members and planning leadership project experiences on campus and within the community
- Thank you to Kiwanis Rep. Mrs. Cousins for co-sponsoring along with Mr. Wright
· Cambridge Program
- 5- year average pass rate for TSHS students who earn an AICE diploma after 4 years = 70%
- AICE General Paper – 10th grade course best aligns to FSA English Language Arts test. *This course is highly recommended for 10th grade TSHS students.
- Students perform well in this class and the TSHS average pass rate for the AICE General Paper based on 18/19 exam data = 94%
· Clearwater Marine Aquarium Partnership – Fred Howard Park satellite location
- TSHS science department will be working closely with the aquarium’s satellite campus located in Howard Park, near campus.
- The goal is to provide possible off campus learning experiences for our Environmental Science, Biology, Marine Biology, Pre-AICE Biology and AICE Marine classes
- Also, possible summer internships may be available for interested students
· Leadership Conservatory – Choral – Dinner Show
- Preparation for the November 2019 event are well underway
- Ticket sales and event information will be forthcoming
· Leadership Conservatory – Marching Band
- Bands of America Regional Competition in Orlando Oct. 11 - 13
- Outdoor Music Festival Oct. 19
· Veterinary Science Academy
- Will be honored at the Oct. 22 School Board Meeting for receiving an Academy of Distinction Designation from the Pinellas Ed. Foundation.
· Little Spongers Preschool
- Additional seats are available for children age 2 and 3. o Interested families may contact Mr. Ranze – firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information and registration details.
· Art Department and Art Club
- Congratulations to Mrs. Marmorale for receiving a Referendum Technology Grant to add a flat screen TV in the Visual Arts computer lab to serve her students.
- Thank you to community supporters – Zervos & Calta, PLLC for sponsoring the Art Club this year. We are thankful for their support!
- Congratulations to the TSHS students whose art work was selected for display in the Pinellas County Schools Administration Building for the 19/20 school year… Go Spongers!!
· Drama Program
- Congratulations to Mr. Hite and our Drama Program
- 17 students earned induction into the International Thespian Society .. Go Spongers!!
· A.M/P.M car line is progressing well and we are very pleased. Thank you for your patience and support with the early morning traffic.
· Students absent from school are expected to bring a note to school upon their return. Notes are to be presented to Mrs. Farag, Front Office.
· Students who arrive to campus after the 7:25 a.m. bell should check in with Mr. Mack downstairs, Front Office for a pass to class.
Safety & Security Updates
· Say Something Anonymous Reporting APP is available for all families to use if there is a pending safety concern to report. *campus safety, student safety, student well-being, bullying, harassment
Athletic Updates – from the desk of Mr. Natoli: Assistant Principal of Athletics
· Hall of Fame Celebration – Friday, Oct. 25 7:00 p.m.
· Fall Sports Weekly Updates Week of 9/30/19
- Cross Country: Participated in a Meet this week at Countryside. Kenny Ramsey and Ethan Proper ran season best times of 24:18 and 24:53 respectively.
- Football: Last week we lost to Zephyrhills. The kids fought the whole game through. We had a key player Curtis Cason go out with a knee injury. Our boys will continue to fight for their 1st win of the season.
- Swimming: We hosted Largo High School and performed admirably, unfortunately we lost. It was the boys only loss of the season so far. We
- Golf: Last week we participated in a PCAC match, Michael Karatzas was low medalist with a score of 31. Michael also participated in the Vinoy Invitational. He shot a 79.
- Volleyball: Varsity Volleyball finished week 5-3. We competed at the Fivay Tournament Friday and Saturday and had a 4-1 record and got 2nd out of 12 teams.
** see attached Fall athletic schedule ... come out and support our student athletes!
· Senior Pictures Reminders - Cady Studios – www.cadystudios.com
- Book a session at their studio o Don’t get left out of the yearbook! Click here to pre-order now and save $10 before picture day!"
- Yearbooks may be ordered online from the school’s website or by visiting ordermyearbook.com.
· New Sponger Helmet for the stadium is on its way. Thank you to the Sponger for Life committee for their generous donation!
· Legacy Bricks available for sale in the bookkeeping office starting at $100
· Senior Parent Night Oct. 2 cafeteria
· 11th Annual Pinellas County College and Career Fair Oct. 7 @ Countryside HS 6:00 p.m.
· College and Career Fair for students Oct 10 @ Tarpon Springs High · Athletic Schedule for Fall Sports - Weekly Schedule Fall Athletics 2019 Flyer.xlsx
· Last day of Quarter 1 – Grading Period Oct. 11
· Teacher Planning Day – school is closed Oct. 14
· Report Cards Oct. 25
· Jr. Parent Night *** revised date Nov. 1