Week of November 18
Good morning TSHS Learning Community,
Here are the announcements and reminders for the week Nov. 18. Thank you to our Great American Teach In Speakers who joined us last week for presentations. We enjoyed your visit. Thank you for volunteering your time. Go Spongers!!
· Mid-Quarter Progress Reports
- As we continue to support student learning and student progress, all TSHS students will receive a mid-quarter progress report on 11/20/19 during 4th period.
- The report will present Q1 grades + Q2 current gradebook grades.
- All students are strongly encouraged to review and strongly focus on putting forth their best in the last weeks leading up to the midterm exams.
- Midterm exam week is scheduled for Dec. 16 – 20.
- Free after school tutoring is available
· Dual Enrollment
- Dec. 4 – TSHS will be hosting a Dual Enrollment Workshop
- Cafeteria @ 6:00 p.m.
- Open to any student and family interested in learning about these opportunities
- 20/21 school year, TSHS Collegiate will be available to all interested and TSHS students who meet the enrollment criteria for Dual Enrollment. Students will have opportunity to earn their Associate in Arts Degree on TSHS campus. Information will be shared at this meeting and also included in the 20/21 course registration packet which will be distributed on January 8, 2020.
· Cambridge Program
- Fall Field Day – Celebration of Student Success
- Friday, Nov. 22 (lunch, 6th & 7th period)
· Leadership Conservatory – Choral
- Thank you to Mr. Cheeseman and all the choral students who participated in the annual Dinner Show. Thank you to our parents and guests who attended.
- TSHS is looking forward to seeing our students perform at the Epcot Candlelight Processional on Dec. 3
· JCAA Culinary Arts
· Congratulations to the following JCAA students and thank you to the Chefs as well!!
Gourmet Meal - 2nd Place winner
Dessert Team 1 -
Dessert Team 2 – 2nd Place winner
Edible Centerpiece – see photos
Angelina Ciccarello – 1st Place winner
Jahteyra Mosley – 2nd Place winner
· Future Plans Career Assessment
- 9th and 10th grade students are finalizing the Future Plans Assessment and a huge thank you extends to them for their efforts!!
· Registration 20/21 School Year
- Course registration for the 20/21 school year will begin January 13.
- Students will be visited by the Administrators and Guidance Counselors over a 2 week period in their elective classes.
- January 8 – all course registration materials will be distributed to students and emailed to parents for review & discussion.
· Students who arrive to campus after the 7:25 a.m. bell should check in with Mr. Mack downstairs, Front Office for a pass to class.
· Student drivers who arrive on campus after the 7:25 a.m. are expected to check in with Mr. Mack as well in the Front Office for a pass to class.
Safety & Security Updates
· Say Something Anonymous Reporting APP is available for all families to use if there is a pending safety concern to report.
- Students are encourage to report *campus safety, student safety, student well-being, bullying, harassment situations
Athletic Updates – from the desk of Mr. Natoli: Assistant Principal of Athletics
Winter Sports as of 11/18/19
Athletic Paperwork: Please remember that if your student plans on participating in any type of athletics this year they will need to submit their athletic paperwork online. Please see our school website under the athletics tab for directions or please stop by the school front office for a copy of the directions to upload their information. Without the proper athletic paperwork on file your student will not be able to participate in athletics. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to Coach Ranze or myself for help.
Boys Basketball: We will be kicking off our season with a Pre-Season Tip-Off classic this week at home on Wednesday 11/20 and Thursday 11/21.
Girls Basketball: We played a great game against Calvary and won 70-46. We play away @ Boca Ciega on 11/18, away @ Largo on 11/19, and away @ Land O’Lakes on 11/22.
Boys Soccer: The boys fell to Palm Harbor 3-1 last Wednesday and then tied Clearwater 1-1 Friday night. This week we have a game Monday 11/18 at home against Countryside and then we play away at Seminole Friday night.
JV Girls Soccer: We defeated Dixie Hollins High School 5-1. We play Dunedin at home on 11/19 and away @ Seminole on 11/21.
Girls Soccer: Girls varsity soccer beat Clearwater 3-2 on Friday night. Goals by Ava Hylton and Keri Andriotis and Elle McCreary. Taylor Mueller did awesome in goal. Record is 2-1 with a win over Mitchell and a loss to Palm Harbor. Next game tonight vs Countryside at home with away games vs Hudson on Wed. and at Seminole on Friday.
Wrestling: Full wrestling practices began last Monday. On Wednesday, November 13th, 19 wrestlers completed FHSAA Weight Assessments. The rest of the team (and any student still seeking to wrestle this season) will do their State Weight Assessment Tuesday, November 19th. Weight Assessment is a National High School and NCAA requirement prior to competition. Full and early compliance with the Assessment Program under scores Tarpon Springs HS absolute commitment to safeguard our wrestlers by establishing minimum wrestling weights, individualized safe weight loss plans, and daily nutrient goals. Each wrestler was assessed for weight, hydration, and body fat. On Friday, November 15th, the wrestling team completed concussion baseline testing. The Wrestling Team's first competition will be this Friday at Seminole High School in the Preseason Classic.
· Sponger Nation – our new parent and student organization. Please be sure to follow TSHS on Facebook … Tarpon Springs High
- Thank you for your input regarding our website. We are in the process of making upgrades to better serve our families. The focus of the efforts will focus on the school calendar on the website. This will best keep all families involve and up to date with all what’s going on at TSHS.
Nov. 25 to Nov. 29 School closed for Thanksgiving Holidays
Dec. 2 – 13 Last 2 weeks of regular schedule classes for semester 1
Dec. 4 Dual Enrollment Informational Parent Night @ 6:00 p.m. Cafeteria
Dec. 16 – 20 Exam week
Dec. 23 to Jan. 3 School closed for Winter Holidays
Jan. 6 Teacher Planning Day
Jan. 7 School resumes with a brief homeroom period to start the day