Week of December 2
Good morning TSHS Learning Community,
Hope all students and families enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. As we return today with just 3 weeks left in semester 1, there are multiple announcements, reminders and events for all students to share. It has been a productive semester so far and I believe we can add a strong finish to the semester as part of our focus.
· Mid-quarter progress monitoring reports were distributed Nov. 20. All students are encouraged to monitor their progress in each class and seek supports (meet with teacher, after school or during lunch tutoring)
· Exam exemptions forms will be distributed to all students who meet the criteria (A or B in a class, less than 4 absences total per day)
· Write Score Testing for 9th and 10th grade English classes is scheduled below by teacher. This is an important assessment as it serves to predict a student’s readiness for the upcoming FSA Test in the Spring. Our efforts on campus include to deliver this assessment in “test like conditions’ to best prepare the students and obtain a good measure on their readiness for these test standards.
- 12/2: Nadeau
- 12/3: Hite
- 12/4: Dupuis
- 12/5: Fulton periods 3 and 5
- 12/6: Fulton periods 6 and 7
- 12/9: Williams periods 1-2
- 12/10: Williams periods 5 and 7
- 12/11-13: Make ups
· Annual TSHS Parent & Student Surveys – Dec. 2 thru Jan. 24 *see links below and thank you for your participation. Your feedback is greatly appreciated as we are committed to continuous improvement here at TSHS. These surveys are very mobile friendly too.
- Parent Survey -- https://eprovesurveys.advanc-ed.org/surveys/#/action/122707/5070
- Student Survey -- https://eprovesurveys.advanc-ed.org/surveys/#/action/122703/5070
· Parent Workshops
- Dec. 2 12th Grade Parent Night 6:00 p.m. *cafeteria
- Dec. 4 AP/AICE/DE Informational Assembly – all interested families/students 6:00 p.m. * cafeteria
- Dec. 12 11th Grade Parent Night 6:00 p.m. *cafeteria
Culture & Celebrations
- Good luck to our Choral Ensembles as they prepare to travel to Epcot tomorrow for Disney’s Candlelight Processional.
- Congratulations to the following students for their art work was chosen for display at the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg from January 11th to March 8th. Thank you to Art teachers Mrs. Marmorale and Mr. Hubbard for their inspiration and leadership!
- Genesis Villavicen – Victor’s Violin
- Destany Eakes – Silent Binary
- Aaron Fogel – Buzzing Vibe
- Erika Meya – Web Search
- Kenny Ramsey – Evolution of A.d.a.m.
- Seren Strassenreiter – Horse Power
- Nevana Taylor – The Cost of Creation
· Character Education Theme for December – Kindness
- Kindness is defined as being nice and considerate toward others. Quote of the week – “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted” – Aesop, Greek fabulist
- Each day, the morning announcements for all students includes 3 words a day which focus on the theme of Kindness.
- In addition, for the next 3 weeks, Dinner Dilemmas – whose purpose is to create family discussions that promote Character Education in Pinellas County will be shared with families.
· Week 1: Situation: A new student from another county has difficulty speaking and understanding English. Sue notices the young lady sits by herself at lunch.
- Dilemma: On one hand, Sue knows a kind person would sit with the new student. On the other hand, Sue wants to sit with her friends.
- Discussion: What advice do you have for Sue?
Tarpon Springs Christmas Parade – Dec. 14
Interested students may sign up to participate in the parade and represent TSHS downstairs in Student Services.
-Sponger Nation Fundraiser
-Senior Parking Lot – “paint your parking space”
- Application and information attached -- https://pcsb.revtrak.net/High-Schools/tarpon-springs-high/sponger-nation-parent-booster/#/v/sponger-nation-parent-booster-senior-painting-parking
Campus Operations & Safety
- Safety drills for December are scheduled during the next 2 weeks.
- All campus perimeters gates are monitored throughout the day
- Campus is closed during student lunch
- All 3rd party food deliveries (Uber Eats, GrubHub, DoorDash) are not permitted on campus. Thank you for understanding.
Athletic Updates – from the desk of Mr. Natoli – AP of Athletics
Dec. 2 12th Grade Parent Workshop
Dec. 4 AP/AICE/DE Informational Parent Workshop
Dec. 12 11th Grade Parent Night
Dec. 16 Exams begin
Dec. 20 Last day of school for semester 1
Jan. 7 School resumes session – semester 2