Graduation Updates 2020
DISSTON ACADEMY GRADUATION 2020 UPDATES
We are almost to the finish line and to help you make it across the stage we want to give you some updates. Our principal, Mrs. Hughes-Leeks will work directly with you to finalize your decision and notify the appropriate contacts at Disston Academy and/or your previous school.
Disston Academy Graduation Timeline
Pay Senior Fees by May 12, 2020 in the form of a cashier’s check or money order.
Upload senior pictures by May 12, 2020 for the Virtual Commencement Ceremony
Complete graduation videos by May 12, 2020 with Mrs. Erickson for the Virtual Commencement Ceremony
Pick-up your graduation cap and gown on June 4, 2020 at Disston Academy.
Stay tuned for more information regarding the in-person ceremony details.
Eligibility to Participate in Commencement at Disston Academy: Any student who has completed all graduation requirements at least one day prior to the commencement ceremony and paid his or her Senior Fees. Formal, written notification will be provided to all cleared students prior to the ceremony by the school principal.
Disston Academy Senior Fees
The revised Senior Fee of $75.00 cover the expense of your cap/gown, medallion, diploma cover, diploma, and senior class shirt plus any outstanding fees or obligations. This fee must be paid in advanced by no later than May 12, 2020 in the form of cashier’s check or money order. No cash or personal checks will be accepted. Senior Fees will be collected on the following days and times:
Tuesday, May 5, 2020 from 9:00 AM-12 Noon
Wednesday, May 6, 2020 from 9:00 AM-12 Noon
Thursday, May 7, 2020 from 9:00 AM-12 Noon
Tuesday, May 12, 2020 from 9:00 AM-12 Noon
Traditional School Senior Fees
Each school has required graduation fees and most commencement information is provided on the school website. These fees typically range from $100-$150 to cover the expense of graduation regalia, activities and the ceremony plus any outstanding fees or obligations. If you gain approval to graduate from your zoned school, you will have the opportunity to pay your graduation fees directly to that school.
Frequently Asked Questions about Graduation and Commencement
1. If I do not complete my courses by the last day of school will summer credit recovery be available?
Yes, Summer Credit Recovery will begin on June 2, 2020 and be supported virtually through TEAMS.
- If I do not complete my courses by the last day of school will I be able to graduate from my previous high school? And will I be able to participate in their commencement ceremony?
Students have until July 17, 2020 to complete graduation requirements in order to be eligible for graduate from your previous high school. Your previous school’s principal will make the final determination of your approval to return and/or participate in their commencement ceremony.
- If I plan to graduate from my previous high school who should I contact for information regarding graduation, senior fees, and commencement?
You should review the school’s website for the most current graduation information. Each school has listed their fees, important dates, and direct points of contact.
- Am I required to complete my Digital Information Tech, Nail Tech or Culinary Arts courses, I want to focus on my core classes for graduation?
Absolutely yes, failure to complete assignments and your portfolio will impact your ability to earn an accelerated credit and your official certification
- If I plan to graduate this school year, do I need to complete assignments and earn a passing grade in my Reading course?
Absolutely yes, failure to complete assignments and earn a passing grade will impact your GPA and credits earned. We have already had cases where students needed to take additional courses in order to improve their GPAs in order to be eligible for graduation. Other students need to earn elective credits to garner a minimum of 18 credits toward graduation.
- If I am eligible to graduate early with the benefit of test cancellation but prefer to stay an additional year, will I be required to pass the state assessments?
The state assessment cancellation is in place for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year. There is no indication that it will continue to the 2020-21 school year at this time. We advise any student who will be enrolled in public high school for the next school year to be prepared to meet the state assessment requirements.
- Do I have to return the digital device (laptop, Netbook, tablet, Wi-Fi router or One Million phone) that I received from the Pinellas County School District?
Yes, all digital devices must be returned to Disston Academy or you will be charged a minimum of $800 to replace the device. Please contact us at (727)893-1115 to set-up a time to return your digital device.
- I have earned more than 18 credits but not necessarily in required courses, am I eligible to graduate?
NO, please review the mandatory diploma options approved by the FLDOE below.
Have you selected your diploma option?
The state of Florida offers two standard high school diploma types. As the graduate, you have the responsibility to identify your preferred diploma type. Your options are:
- 18 Credit Diploma option- appropriate for students planning to enlist in the military, pursue employment immediately, complete certification, earn a trade license or attend a four-year community college.
- Requirements for 18 Credit graduation include the following:
- Four English credits, four math credits, three science credits, three social studies credits, four electives including one practical/performing arts, and
- A minimum weighted 2.0 GPA and 18 credits
- 24 Credit Diploma option- appropriate for students planning to enroll at a four-year university.
- Requirements for 24 Credit graduation include the following:
- Four English credits, four math credits, three science credits, three social studies credits, a HOPE credit and eight electives including one practical/performing arts, and,
- A minimum weighted 2.0 GPA and 24 credits.
If you have any questions regarding graduation please feel free to contact Mrs. Hughes-Leeks or Mrs. Erickson in TEAMS, by email or by phone at (727)893-1115.