Magnet Schools of America - Excellence
from the Pinellas County School's Newsroom: (website story)
Six Pinellas schools win national Merit Awards for exemplary magnet programs
Jan. 23, 2020
Three of our schools have been honored as Schools of Excellence, and three schools have been honored as Schools of Distinction by Magnet Schools of America.
The Magnet School of Excellence Award is the top Merit Award category and is only awarded to a select group of magnet schools. The Magnet School of Distinction Award is the second highest award of recognition.
Schools of Excellence winners:
- Richard O. Jacobson Technical High School at Seminole for its Commercial Arts, Construction Technologies, Electricity, Gaming/Simulation, Marine Mechanics, Nursing and Veterinary Assisting programs
- Gulfport Montessori Elementary School for its Montessori Academy
- Ridgecrest Elementary School for its Center for Gifted Studies
Schools of Distinction winners:
- Douglas L. Jamerson, Jr. Elementary School for its Center for Mathematics and Engineering
- James B. Sanderlin K-8 IB World School for its International Baccalaureate program
- Perkins Elementary Center for the Arts and International Studies for its Arts and International Studies program
To receive a national Merit Award, schools must submit a detailed application to Magnet Schools of America. Schools are judged and scored on their demonstrated ability to raise student academic achievement, promote racial and socioeconomic diversity, provide integrated curricula and instruction, and create strong family and community partnerships that enhance the school’s magnet theme.
All of the winning schools will be recognized at Magnet Schools of America’s 38th National Conference hosted by Clark County School District in Nevada, April 13-17, 2020.