September is Attendance Awareness Month
Did you know…..
1. An estimated 5 million to 7.5 million U.S. students miss nearly a month of school each year.
2. Absenteeism and its ill effects start early. One in 10 kindergarten and first grade students are chronically absent. Poor attendance can influence whether children read proficiently by the end of third grade or be held back.
3. By 6th grade, chronic absence becomes a leading indicator that a student will drop out of high school.
4. Research shows that missing 10 percent of the school, or about 18 days in most school districts, negatively affects a student’s academic performance. That’s just two days a month and that’s known as chronic absenteeism.
5. The academic impact of missing that much school is the same whether the absences are excused or unexcused. (Retrieved from http://www.attendanceworks.org/facts-stats-school-attendance/)
If your child misses school 2 days per month, by the time they leave elementary school, they have lost over ½ year of education (60% of one total school year).
If you child misses 3 days per month, by the time they leave elementary school they have lost almost a year’s worth of education (90% of one total school year).
Help your child succeed, ensure they attend school daily.