2022-2023 Fast Facts for Parents K-5
- Mark your calendars:
- Little Ospreys (PPK, PreK blended/ASD, VPK) & Kindergarten Back to School Parent Info Night (adult only event): August 8h 6:00-7:00 PM; classrooms
- Little Ospreys (PPK, PreK blended/ASD, VPK) & Kindergarten Meet & Greet the Teacher: Aug. 9th 8:30-9:30 AM
- 1st Grade -5th Grade Students Meet & Greet the Teacher: August 8th
- 8:30-9:00 AM: 1st, 2nd, ASD K-5
- 9:15-9:45 AM: 3rd
- 10:00-10:30 AM: 4th & 5th
- Our first day of school will be on Wednesday, August 10th at 8:45 AM
- Gifted Back to School Parent Information Night: August 24th 5:00-6:00 PM
- 3rd-4th-5th Grade Back to School Parent Information Night: August 24th 6:00-7:00 PM
- 1st-2nd Grade Back to School Night: August 31st 6:00-7:00 PM
- ASD Back to School Parent Information Night: August 31st 6:00-7:00 PM
- The Meet & Greet is a time for the students to visit their classrooms, meet their teacher(s), and drop off any school supplies. This is not a time for conferences. The teachers and staff will be very busy preparing for the opening of school, so we ask all parents to adhere to our Meet & Greet times. Classrooms will not be open for visitations before 8:30 AM or after 10:00 AM.
- Little Ospreys (PPK, PreK blended/ASD, VPK) & Kindergarten Parent Information Night and all Back to School Nights are informational events for parents only. We love our Osprey scholars, however for Back to School Night, due to high parent attendance, we cannot accommodate children.
- Important information, updates and school supply lists are located on school and PTA webpages:
Facebook direct link https://www.facebook.com/OEPTA/
Instagram direct link https://instagram.com/ozonapta?igshid=1w2oibufjjts8
- School supplies: suggested items can be found on the webpages listed above.
- K-5th grade parents will be able to walk their child(ren) to class on the first day of school. Kindergarten only may also walk their child on day #2. For safety purposes, after day two we will be securing our campus; then we will maintain a secure campus for the remainder of the school year. We will have staff on hand to help scholars find their classrooms.
- Please be sure your child knows how he/she will be getting home from school each day!! Start this way on Day #1 of school. If your child is a bus rider, have him/her ride the bus on day one. This prevents confusion later.
- Students need to be seated & ready to learn promptly at 8:45 AM. Students will be marked as tardy if they are not in their classroom by 8:45 AM.
- Student hours for K-5th grade: 8:45 AM- 2:55 PM.
- PPK, Blended PreK and ASD PreK hours: 8:25 AM -2:30 PM
- VPK hours: 8:45 AM -2:45 PM
- VPK options include morning or full day. See or call Mrs. Kelly (DMT) for details. Call 727-724-1589 and ask to speak to Mrs. Kelly.
- Breakfast starts for K-5th grade at 8:15 AM, must drop off at front car circle only (Tampa Road).
- Breakfast ends promptly at 8:40 AM.
- VPK students eat breakfast in the classroom.
- Meal plans: Breakfast is free. There is a $2.25 charge for lunch. Students in all Pinellas County Schools are able to apply for free and reduced lunch meal benefits online. Online application for free meal benefits is available at www.myschoolapps.com. Meal account information including the prepaid account http://www.myschoolbucks.com/ can be found on the district website.
- Bus circle & car circle procedures:
Kindergarten – 5th grade Arrival: In the morning, you may drop your children off no earlier than 8:15 AM using the Tampa Road entrance only. Students will be directed to the cafeteria for breakfast then to their classrooms. Those who eat at home will go directly to classrooms.
All students are to be dropped off in front of the main building. We have adult supervision in addition to our student Safety Patrols to unload cars along the entire sidewalk in front. There is no supervision of students by Building 6 for car line drop off, so for safety, 1st grade students are not to be dropped off there. In the past we have occasionally had a backup in the morning, right turns will help with the safe flow of traffic when exiting the campus.
Kindergarten – 5th grade Dismissal: Our main goal is to load many children as safely and efficiently as possible by loading seven cars at a time.
Again, this year, because of the large number of car riders, we will have a second car line in the bus circle (entry off of Pennsylvania Avenue) for siblings of our Ozona PreK students, 3rd, 4th & 5th graders without siblings. Kindergarten – 2nd grade and families will be loaded in the front car circle (entry off of Tampa Road). For example, if you have a 3rd grader and a Kindergartener, they will be picked up together in the front car circle at 2:55 PM.
- The procedures for afternoon pickup are as follows:
- Tampa Road Dismissal:
Kindergarten Fast Pass!
Kindergarten car riders only will enter driveway and pull into the left lane marked Kindergarten Only. The first car will stop at the stop sign in the parking lot just before the main building, pull up close to the car behind you. When directed you will transfer up to the front car circle to pick up your child from a numbered spot. Parents may “fast pass” from 2:40 until 2:55. At 2:55 PM, the regular car line is open and any remaining KG parents would use the main car line starting at 2:55 PM.
If your Kindergartner has a sibling, you can only use the regular car line.
Car Line Process: Cars will enter the driveway using the right lane and pull into the mini car loop in front of building 6 (first grade building). The first car will stop at the stop sign in the parking. Pull up close behind the car in front of you. When directed you will transfer up to the front car circle to pick up your child from a numbered spot. Students in 1st grade join all the other students in front of the main building for pickup – do not try to pick them up in front of the classroom (Building 6).
Please, do not arrive before 2:55 PM. [start of our line is very important – too early and we block traffic on Tampa Road]. Arriving prior to 2:55 interferes with our Kindergarten Fast Pass. We ask for your help in not blocking traffic.
Please consider making a right hand turn onto Tampa Road as you exit the parking lot. This will help keep the traffic moving to get all of our students home quickly and safely.
- Pennsylvania Avenue Dismissal: You will not be permitted to enter the campus until all vans and buses have been loaded and driven away. We suggest that you not arrive before 3:05 PM. Please note 15 mph school zone. In the event that you arrive and our buses and vans are still present, you will need to wait in the church parking lot next to our school. Parking on the side of the road is not allowed. We will call you in when we open the driveway. All the siblings of our Ozona PreK students, 3rd, 4th & 5th graders (without younger siblings) are staged outside the Multipurpose room. Do not arrive prior to 3:05 PM.
- PPK/PreK/VPK Arrival/Dismissal: Our Little Ospreys families (PPK,PreK,VPK) will receive specific arrival and dismissal information from their PPK/PreK/VPK Back to School Night and the Little Ospreys Fast Facts.
- YMCA is available for before & after care. (6:30 AM-6:00 PM) Located in the MPR/cafe’.
Registration & information at www.suncoastymca.org.
There is a 72 hour turnaround for registration. You must register prior to the start of school. You will not be able to register the first week of school.
- Teacher Assignment: Grades 1st-5th will be available in Focus. Kindergarten class lists will be posted in the front office windows on the main campus on Aug. 5th at 5 pm. Please note assignments are subject to change per district & state mandates.
- Please be sure you have a parent username & password to access Focus. You will need this for teacher assignment. Our DMT, Mrs. Kelly, can assist with this. (Email: email@example.com). You will need to come into the front office with a valid driver’s license/photo ID.
- If your child will need to have prescription or over the counter (OTC) medication during school hours, it is important for you to visit the front office prior to school starting. Both prescription and OTC medications require additional paperwork to be completed by the parent and/or doctor. Prescription medication may ONLY be brought in by the parent and must be in the original prescription bottle.
- Please join PTA or renew your PTA membership:
- $8 for an individual membership
- We also have business sponsorship options available.
- Link for membership: https://bit.ly/OzonaMembership
- Chick-Fil-A of Palm Harbor offered a free kids meal voucher for every PTA member that joins this year!
- Memberships can be secured online, or in person cash/check made payable to Ozona PTA.
- Show your school spirit: Purchase your Ozona Osprey magnet separately for $5.00 on Memberhub.
- Join us for our first PTA meeting on August 18th at 6:30 PM. Meeting location: Media Center. Mark your calendars!
- Do you shop on Amazon? Are you using the free Amazon Smile app or website when you do? It's free and easy and an easy way to give back to our school just by using Amazon Smile. Please consider choosing Ozona Elementary PTA as your charity of choice. Thank you for your support!
- Living the Ozona Life! Upcoming PTA sponsored events
- Back to School Playdate: Friday, August 5th 9 AM at Pop Stansell Park! A simple & fun gathering to meet new and current friends!
- Boo Hoo/Yahoo Breakfast for our preschool and Kindergarten parents on the first day of school Wednesday, Aug. 10th in the media center. Come and meet other new parents and celebrate what a great year this will be for your child!
- Pinellas County Schools is launching a process to help families get ready for the school year The district has consolidated all Back-to-School forms, so parents can fill them out in one place - online. Parents can log into Focus at focus.pcsb.org and complete their Back-to-School Forms packet. They will be prompted to fill out the forms as soon as they log onto Focus. Forms are also available at www.pcsb.org/backtoschoolforms. Please note: Parents must be linked to their student to use the new Focus forms. If they need help with forms, they can contact their child’s school. If they need technical support, ask them to contact the PCS Helpdesk at 727-588-6060.
- Visit the Pinellas County Schools online Back-to-School Guide. Parents will find a link to our online Back-to-School Guide on the home page of our PCS website. The guide includes the student calendar, report card schedules, information about school meals and Back-to-School clinics, and more. The page can also be accessed at www.pcsb.org/backtoschool.