Weekly Update - Week of January 15th
Azalea Elementary Weekly Update – Week of 1/15/18
Getting You Connected
Learning Hours: 7:35am – 1:35pm
Supervision Hours: 7:05am – 2:05pm
Our Core Values - Consensus, Collaboration, Support, Respect, Enthusiasm
Our Mission – Attitude + Academics + Attendance = Excellence at Azalea
Our Vision – 100% Student Success
Our motto – Empowered for life. It’s the Azalea way!
Azalea Elementary students and staff would like to thank the following individuals for their generous donations. We appreciate all your support.
- Azalea Elementary students and staff would like to thank Mrs. Jennifer Murray
- We thank you for all your hard work and dedication to our school.
Mrs. Murray has been a great asset in various capacities here at our school as a past staff member and volunteer. She has dedicated her time to Pack-a-Sack for several years and over see’s our Box Top fundraiser for 2-3 years. This only names a few of the things she’s involved with at Azalea but her overall service to our school is unparalleled.
Help Fund a Classroom
Please see the following projects we have going on that need your help. Any amount will help. You can give $5.00 or fund the whole project. See a brief description below and then follow the links for more detailed breakdown of each. See what aligns with your vision to support our vision.
Note: If you are having difficulty with the link in order to donate, you can always write a check to the school. Make it out to Azalea Elementary and in the memo section state Adopt-a-class: “project name”
Service Learning Challenge- ASD Coffee Kart: Amount needed: $1,037.00
The goals are:
To teach students with Autism career and life skills.
Teach students about the importance of supporting their local communities.
Teach students how to operate a variety of kitchen utensils.
Teach students how to count and manage money, take inventory, etc.
Teach students about positive environmental impacts of using FairTrade and Organic Coffee beans.
Jabil’s STEM- Hands on Magic Kingdom Field Trip – Amount needed: $1,026.00
The goal of this field trip is for students to make connections to the STEM based activities within their gifted inventions unit of study to the real world; which will develop a deeper understanding of each concept as it relates to the broad spectrum of knowledge.
Jabil - OK GO! Azalea Eagles Invent (Primary) – Amount needed: $999.60
Our goal is that all students will be able to recreate and modify a simple machine design based on Rube Goldberg inventions using resources such as Legos, dominoes, and simple machines. Students will also be able to utilized 21st century technology (I-PAD) to collect and record data based on experiences and observations.
Jabil - OK Go! Azalea Eagles Invent (Intermediate) – Amount needed: $969.38
Our students will be able to recreate and modify a simple machine design based on Rube Goldberg's inventions using Ki'nex Education Bridges Classroom and Motor Pack. Students will also be able to utilize 21st century technology (iPad) to collect and record data based on experiences and observations.
Azalea Elementary January Events
- NO SCHOOL – Martin Luther King Day
- Report Cards Go Home
- 6:50 – 7:30am All Pro Dad’s Kick Off Event in our Media Center
- All Dad’s and their children are invited
- We will provided light breakfast items
- Please RSVP here:
- See attached invitation All Pro Dad Flier Azalea Template 2018.docx
“All Pro Dad’s Day is a simple way for you to become an uncommon father and influence your children in significant ways.” Tony Dungy, All Pro Dad National Spokesman
Brief overview video:
- Class Pictures – Students wear uniform
Week of January 22nd
- Celebrate Literacy Week. Celebrate Reading!
- Monday - Red to Read (wear red to represent your love of reading) AND everyone read an extra 20 minutes.
- Tuesday-Hooked on books (create a list of favorite books and hang on your door)
- Wednesday-Share your Pair (Teacher reads her/his 2 favorite books to their class)
- Thursday - Reading Rocks (wear Crazy Socks)
- Friday - Sport your favorite book (wear your favorite Team Shirt)
- 12:30 – 1:30pm AAA Open Court on the covered court for perfect attendance, merit, honor roll and principals list
- Grades 3 – 5 families welcome. Standing only or bring your chairs
KG PARENTS: Reminder that when we return from Winter Break on January 8th you will not be able to walk your scholar to class. Majority of you have already stopped and you have helped us develop that independence. Thank you for being a partner in your child’s interpersonal development.
ALL PARENTS: 7:45AM is the cut off time for late students to be sent to the café for breakfast
If something sounds interesting, please see the expanded notes in the next section
- Parent Teacher Association (PTA): Are you a student advocate?
- Pinellas County Schools website
- Ways to use FOCUS
- Parenting Resolution Reboot: 5 Ways to Have the Best Year Ever
- Middle School District Application Programs and Discovery Nights
- Earth Force our recycling after school club is making recycled grocery bags PLEASE HELP
- School store: Every Wednesday before school 7:05 – 7:30am
- NEW After School Club: Simple Machines
- DADS: We’re going to need you
Important Points Expanded:
1.PTA: Every Child. One Voice.
Join the PTA’s mission to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children. Joining the PTA is about advocating for children. As parents we are our child’s strongest advocate so find out how you can support the school to ensure your child and all children have the successful foundation they need. You’re level of involvement is your choice but your involvement should not be an option. See the attached support the PTA letters and Email Christine Hutchings our PTA membership chair and 2nd grade parent to find out more Christine_Krohn@yahoo.com.
Find out what PTA does and how you can support:
Parents’ Guide to Student Success: http://www.pta.org/parents/content.cfm?ItemNumber=2583&navItemNumber=3363
2. Pinellas County Schools website
Of course our website is helpful but if you are in need of a resource. Please check out the district site for oodles and oodles of resources and information
3. Ways to use FOCUS
See brochure FOCUS Brochure.pdf
4. Parenting Resolution Reboot: 5 Ways to Have the Best Year Ever
Here is what you can find in the article. Check it out.
- Sleep matters
- Demonstrate the behavior you want to see
- Make time for your kids
- Task every kid with a job
- Prioritize weekly family meetings
5. Middle School District Application Programs and Discovery Nights
PCS offers 70 programs focusing on students' interests, talents and abilities
Apply Jan. 10-19, 2018, at reservation.pcsb.org
6. Earth Force our recycling after school club is making recycled grocery bags PLEASE HELP
Earth Force needs your old, clean adult size t-shirts or tank tops. We will take all kinds but please do not send any that have inappropriate sayings on them. We will be making cloth grocery bags to sell at the school store. Please send them in to your child’s classroom teacher to the “To the attention of: Ms. Mutert.
Thank you for your support
7. School Store
- Who: (AGP) Azalea Gifted Program
- What: School Store
- When: Every Wednesday before school 7:05-7:30am
- Where: In the court yard
- Why: To raise money for our program
- How can you help?????
- Buy items such as pencils, erasers, notebooks, small trinkets, or lollipops for a range of 5 cents to $1.00
8. NEW After School Club: Simple Machines
9. DADS: We’re going to need you
Please consider joining All Pro Dad’s at our school. We are just getting started and more information to come. The All Pro Dad program is typically a monthly breakfast at the school which is geared to helping dads strengthen their relationship with their children. A volunteer Team Captain leads the meeting, which is constructed around a topic encouraging positive interactions. Please see the introductory video from Tony Dungy
Application for Free and Reduced Price Meals
Clothes to Kids
Title I Family Library
- Location: 2499 25th Street South St. Petersburg, FL
- No Library Card Needed & No Late Fees
- A Leveled Library
- Each time your child visits the library they will receive a FREE BOOK!
- We’re open!
- Monday & Thursday 8:30- 6:00
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 8:30-3:30
- For more info call 727-893-2988
Adopt-a-Class & Adopt-a-School
- see our website under get engaged
PeachJar – community flyers
- see our websites home page in the PEACHJAR section for a link
Be in the know - Major Issues with HB7069
- Please follow the link and see how it effects not only Azalea but PCS as a whole.
Updating your phone number & Email information just got easier
- There’s a new and easy way to change your contact information. You can now log in into the student reservation system https://reservation.pcsb.org/ You will need your parent username and password to make any changes. If you don’t have a username and password please feel free to stop by our front office with your I.D. and one of our office staff will assist you.