Weekly Update - Week of Nov. 12th
Azalea Elementary Weekly Update
Week of 11/12/18
Getting You Connected
Learning Hours: 7:35am – 1:35pm
Supervision Hours: 7:05am – 2:05pm
Our Core Values - Collaboration, Mutual Respect, Support, Professionalism, Consensus
Our Mission – Attitude + Academics + Attendance = Excellence and Empowerment at Azalea Elementary
Our Vision – 100% Student Success
Our motto – Empowered for life. It’s the Azalea way!
Azalea Elementary students and staff would like to thank the following individuals for their generous donations. Remember that not all donations are monetary in nature. Time is precious. We appreciate all your support.
- Azalea is a special place to be, whether you work there or a parent/ family member or a community member. We are in a constant pursuit of greatness and one important piece of moving from good to great is celebrating our success. Another way to engage with Azalea is by messaging our Area Superintendent or school board members. Please take a moment to send them your testimonial. We may not be a magnet or fundamental school with a special application period, but we are Azalea “the secret by the park.” Help me share our secret.
- Area 3 Superintendent – Robert Poth
- District School Board members:
We are proud and grateful:
- Great iWalk this past Thursday morning. Thank you to our PTA
- Check out our website. Thank you Lin Jackson (parent) for keeping it updated and family friendly. Staff pictures really help families connect to with us. Follow the link to see: https://www.pcsb.org/domain/7759
Azalea Elementary November Events
Dear Veterans –
My appreciation for you and other servicemembers is truly indescribable. You inspire me with your love of country. Thank you so much for all you have done and continue to do.
Dear Azalea Families –
Wishing you the happiness of good friends, the joy of a happy family, and the wonder of the holiday season. Have a memorable thanksgiving! From my family to yours. My wife Khana and our three children:
- Chauncey, 11
- Anabella, 8
- Sonia, 18 months
- Thanksgiving Holiday Lunch
- Families invited to join us for a holiday meal with your child(ren)
- Adults: $3.50 (entrée (turkey & dressing), 2 sides, roll & cookie)
- Great American Teach In
- 1:00 – 6:00pm Fundraiser Pick Up
- 6:50am – 7:30am All Pro Dad’s in our media center
- Come join other father figures and their child(ren)
- We offer a FREE breakfast and fun around being a better father
- PMAC Winter Holiday Drive "Be a Hero"
- Donate $1.00 and wear your favorite super hero shirt
Monday, 11/19 Begins Thanksgiving Break. No school for students.
- Students return from break
- 3:00 – 9:00pm Chuck E Cheese Fundraiser Night
- PMAC Winter Holiday Drive “Show your team spirit”
- Donate $1.00 and wear your favorite team shirt
If something sounds interesting, please see the expanded notes in the next section. Many of these items will be reoccurring, so to help you locate new important points with ease I have added the word NEW and placed them first in the list
- NEW Thanksgiving Break Academic Challenges
- NEW Book of the Month
- NEW AdvancED Climate Survey
- New Focus App
Important Points Expanded:
The purpose of this challenge is to encourage students to engage in learning over the break. In addition, with this challenge we hope that third through fifth grade students and their parents will become more familiar with the Personalized Learning Pathway (PLP) and the built- in lessons. For K-2 students, we have directed them to myOn and Brain Pop Jr, both of which are exciting resources accessible through the students’ Clever page. Of course students can also continue their work in iStation, Dreambox and ST Math.
The ELA PLP lessons are written to address individual standards at the MAP RIT band appropriate for the individual student. Students will work through several activities including videos and text and complete one or more tasks to practice using the standard. Students are directed to complete work on their own paper and turn the work into their teacher after break. Attached is an example of the type of written work students are asked to complete. The following link will take you to an example playlist. LAFS.5.RL.3.9 https://safari.pcsb.org/?p=d6d3934f-3673-11e8-a1f0-0cc47acff750 . I have also attached a PDF with all of the PLP playlists that you can share with your teachers.
The Thanksgiving Break Challenge can be seen at the links below.
- Grades K-2
- Grades 3-5
- ST Math Fall Break Challenge can be tracked by using this form ST Math Fall Break Challenge.docx
- NEW Book of the Month
ABOUT THE DAY YOU BEGIN
Jacqueline Woodson is the 2018-2019 National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature
A #1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER!
National Book Award winner Jacqueline Woodson and two-time Pura Belpré Illustrator Award winner Rafael López have teamed up to create a poignant, yet heartening book about finding courage to connect, even when you feel scared and alone.
There will be times when you walk into a room
and no one there is quite like you.
There are many reasons to feel different. Maybe it’s how you look or talk, or where you’re from; maybe it’s what you eat, or something just as random. It’s not easy to take those first steps into a place where nobody really knows you yet, but somehow you do it.
Jacqueline Woodson’s lyrical text and Rafael López’s dazzling art reminds us that we all feel like outsiders sometimes-and how brave it is that we go forth anyway. And that sometimes, when we reach out and begin to share our stories, others will be happy to meet us halfway.
- NEW AdvancED Climate Survey
The survey window is Nov. 12 – Dec. 14. We need 125 parent surveys completed.
Please follow the link: https://eprovesurveys.advanc-ed.org/surveys/#/action/82716/36733
- Focus app gives parents better access to student information on mobile devices
PCS is launching the Pinellas County Schools App to help parents stay connected to their children’s education. The app, developed by Focus, helps families access student information on their cellphones and other mobile devices. Parents and students can still use the Focus website on desktop computers, but the app is designed to work better with mobile devices. Parents will receive real-time notifications of grades, attendance, upcoming assignments and test scores. Users will also be able to view school district news and Facebook posts, school messages, school menus, school bell times, the student calendar, family engagement opportunities and transportation information. Administrators can use the app to access student schedules and grades. Administrators and teachers will also be able to view PCS news, Facebook posts, Portal Messages and other links. The Pinellas County Schools App can be downloaded from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.
Updating your phone number & Email information just got easier
- There’s a new and easy way to change your contact information. You can now log in into the student reservation system https://reservation.pcsb.org/ You will need your parent username and password to make any changes. If you don’t have a username and password please feel free to stop by our front office with your I.D. and one of our office staff will assist you.
Application for Free and Reduced Price Meals
- Breakfast is FREE for every student
- Lunch is $2.00 per day. EVERYONE should complete the www.myschoolapps.com to see if you qualify for lunch benefits. It also supports us receiving federal funds for the 2019-2020 school year
- Even if you have had Free/ Reduced lunch benefits last year or at a previous school you MUST reapply every year
Clothes to Kids
- Want to mentor? Contact Yaritza Ramos our Family Community Liaison
PTA: Every Child. One Voice.
Join the PTA’s mission to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children. Joining the PTA is about advocating for children. As parents we are our child’s strongest advocate so find out how you can support the school to ensure your child and all children have the successful foundation they need. You’re level of involvement is your choice but your involvement should not be an option. Email our PTA email@example.com
$5 PTA Membership: Join Today
Click on the link for member perks including discounted Legoland tickets
Parents’ Guide to Student Success: http://www.pta.org/parents/content.cfm?ItemNumber=2583&navItemNumber=3363
All Pro Dad’s
- Please consider joining All Pro Dad’s at our school. We are just getting started and more information to come. The All Pro Dad program is typically a monthly breakfast at the school which is geared to helping dads strengthen their relationship with their children. A volunteer Team Captain leads the meeting, which is constructed around a topic encouraging positive interactions. Please see the introductory video from Tony Dungy
Title I Family Library
- Location: 2499 25th Street South St. Petersburg, FL
- No Library Card Needed & No Late Fees
- A Leveled Library
- Each time your child visits the library they will receive a FREE BOOK!
- We’re open!
- Monday & Thursday 8:30- 6:00
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 8:30-3:30
- For more info call 727-893-2988
Adopt-a-Class & Adopt-a-School
- see our website under get engaged
- Who: (AGP) Azalea Gifted Program
- What: School Store
- When: Every Wednesday before school 7:05-7:30am
- Where: In the court yard
- Why: To raise money for our program
- How can you help?????
- Buy items such as pencils, erasers, notebooks, small trinkets, or lollipops for a range of 5 cents to $1.00
PeachJar – community flyers
- see our websites home page in the PEACHJAR section for a link
Pinellas County Schools website
Of course our website is helpful but if you are in need of a resource. Please check out the district site for oodles and oodles of resources and information