Weekly Update - Week of May 14th
Azalea Elementary Weekly Update
Week of 5/14/18
Getting You Connected
Learning Hours: 7:35am – 1:35pm
Supervision Hours: 7:05am – 2:05pm
Our Core Values - Consensus, Collaboration, Support, Respect, Enthusiasm
Our Mission – Attitude + Academics + Attendance = Excellence at Azalea
Our Vision – 100% Student Success
Our motto – Empowered for life. It’s the Azalea way!
Azalea Elementary students and staff would like to thank the following individuals for their generous donations. Remember that not all donations are monetary in nature. Time is precious. We appreciate all your support.
- Azalea is a special place to be, whether you work there or a parent/ family member or a community member. We are in a constant pursuit of greatness and one important piece of moving from good to great is celebrating our success. Another way to engage with Azalea is by messaging our Area Superintendent or school board members. Please take a moment to send them your testimonial. We may not be a magnet or fundamental school with a special application period but we are Azalea “the secret by the park.” Help me share our secret.
- Area 3 Superintendent – Robert Poth
- District School Board members:
- Congratulations to our April Eagles of the Month. Recognized for their outstanding character.
Azalea Elementary May Events
Monday, May 14th
- 4th and 5th grade chorus concert in our café @ 8-8:30am/ 8:45 – 9:15am
Tuesday, May 15th
- Spring evening concert @ Azalea Middle @ 7:00pm
Thursday. May 17th
- Chuck E Cheese Night from 3:00 – 9:00pm
Friday, May 18th
- Gifted Invention Convention in the Media Center from 9:00 – 12:30pm
Week of May 21st: NO BACKPACKS
Thursday, May 24th
- Last day of school for students. Dismissal is 2 hours early at 11:35am.
- 5th grade graduation at 8:00am
First day of school for the 2018-19 school year is Monday, August 13th
If something sounds interesting, please see the expanded notes in the next section
- Strawbridge Journey Pictures
- Reading Incentives for Summer
- Pinellas County Schools STEM Summer Camp Student Application
- School Advisory Council (SAC) – Are you interested?
- Text Message Notifications
- PreK Needs your HELP
Important Points Expanded:
- Strawbridge Journey Pictures
Parents, You should be receiving a special package of portraits from our photography partner Strawbridge Studios. They have designed a new program called “Journey”, which is a multi-year product that a majority of students in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grades will be receiving. All other students should receive a Fun Variety Pack if they had fall pictures taken this year. This could be the perfect gift to purchase for family and friends. This could be the perfect gift to purchase for family and friends. This is also an additional fundraiser for the school, so please keep this in mind when placing your order. The deadline for returning money and/or the portraits is May18th. Thank you for your support and create a great day!
2. Reading Incentives for Summer
Welcome to summer. Did you know that there is a tendency for students to lose some of the learning gains they made during the year over the summer? It is more commonly referred to as the “summer Slide”. Azalea Staff would like to ensure our students stay on top of their reading game by encouraging our scholars to read this summer; Pinellas County Schools is TEAMING up with the various reading partners to encourage summer reading with our summer reading challenge: Read on the Go with myON. The Read on the Go myOn Summer Reading challenge is a way for students to practice their reading skills while learning to love to read. Participate in weekly reading challenges for a chance to win some great prizes. In addition, the top 25 readers on myON during the summer will receive 2 tickets to a Buc’s home game. Visit our summer reading website at www.pcs.org/summerreading to learn more about all the reading incentives being offered this summer.
I have also attached the grades 3-5 Sunshine State Young Readers book list.
We are Reading to Learn. It’s the Azalea Way!!!!
3. Pinellas County Schools STEM Summer Camp Student Application
- Azalea Gifted Invention Convention
- What: Azalea Elementary Gifted Program Invention Convention
- When: Friday, May 18th from 9:00 AM-12:30 PM
- Where: Azalea Elementary Media Center
- Who: All members of the community are invited
- Why: To celebrate what scholars have learned this unit
4.School Advisory Council (SAC) – Are you interested?
You will be a part of reviewing our school improvement plan, reviewing school wide learning results, hearing about our budget, etc. Be a part of how we run our school. We meet 4 times per year for 1 hour. If this sounds like something you’d like to be a part of, complete the attached and send to Mr. Rebman, Principal.
5. Text Message Notifications
Pinellas County Schools will begin using text messages as an additional way to communicate with employees and families in the 2018-19 school year. Text messages will only be used to communicate information related to school emergencies.
Employees and parents/guardians of students in Pinellas County Schools can text “Y” or “Yes” to 67587 to begin receiving text messages from the school district.
Mobile numbers need to already be on file with the district to enroll in the text message service.
Emails and phone calls will be sent by Strategic Communications to parents and employees on Monday, May 7 inviting them to opt in to the text message service.
- The following communications will be sent Monday, May 7:
- Email message to all employees
- Email message to all families (via SchoolMessenger)
- A recorded phone message to all employees and families on Monday, May 7 at 5 p.m.
The attached banner will be placed on the district’s homepage on May 7. Learn more about the text message service at www.pcsb.org/textmessages.
6. PreK Needs your HELP
PreK is looking for used preschool bikes, scooters, little tikes slides and houses for our pre-k playground. If you can help with these items please contact Erica Metcalf firstname.lastname@example.org
PTA: Every Child. One Voice.
Join the PTA’s mission to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children. Joining the PTA is about advocating for children. As parents we are our child’s strongest advocate so find out how you can support the school to ensure your child and all children have the successful foundation they need. You’re level of involvement is your choice but your involvement should not be an option. See the attached support the PTA letters and Email Christine Hutchings our PTA membership chair and 2nd grade parent to find out more Christine_Krohn@yahoo.com.
Find out what PTA does and how you can support:
Parents’ Guide to Student Success: http://www.pta.org/parents/content.cfm?ItemNumber=2583&navItemNumber=3363
- Want to mentor? Contact Yaritza Ramos our Family Community Liaison
Application for Free and Reduced Price Meals
Clothes to Kids
All Pro Dad’s
- Please consider joining All Pro Dad’s at our school. We are just getting started and more information to come. The All Pro Dad program is typically a monthly breakfast at the school which is geared to helping dads strengthen their relationship with their children. A volunteer Team Captain leads the meeting, which is constructed around a topic encouraging positive interactions. Please see the introductory video from Tony Dungy
Title I Family Library
- Location: 2499 25th Street South St. Petersburg, FL
- No Library Card Needed & No Late Fees
- A Leveled Library
- Each time your child visits the library they will receive a FREE BOOK!
- We’re open!
- Monday & Thursday 8:30- 6:00
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 8:30-3:30
- For more info call 727-893-2988
Adopt-a-Class & Adopt-a-School
- see our website under get engaged
- Who: (AGP) Azalea Gifted Program
- What: School Store
- When: Every Wednesday before school 7:05-7:30am
- Where: In the court yard
- Why: To raise money for our program
- How can you help?????
- Buy items such as pencils, erasers, notebooks, small trinkets, or lollipops for a range of 5 cents to $1.00
PeachJar – community flyers
- see our websites home page in the PEACHJAR section for a link
Pinellas County Schools website
Of course our website is helpful but if you are in need of a resource. Please check out the district site for oodles and oodles of resources and information
Updating your phone number & Email information just got easier
- There’s a new and easy way to change your contact information. You can now log in into the student reservation system https://reservation.pcsb.org/ You will need your parent username and password to make any changes. If you don’t have a username and password please feel free to stop by our front office with your I.D. and one of our office staff will assist you.