National Junior Honor Society Information
National Junior Honor Society
NJHS is a service organization for students who exemplify and demonstrate the following traits: service, leadership, character, and citizenship. Eligible eighth grade students will be evaluated by a faculty advisory council on the basis of these traits.
To be eligible for membership consideration, students must be in eighth grade, have a 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale beginning with grades active in sixth grade, and meet the behavioral and character requirements. If, after a student has been selected, but before the formal induction, the student is involved in an incident which places his/her qualifications in question, induction will not take place until the faculty advisory council re-evaluates his/her standing.
Students must also be able to verify at least 20 hours of community service with documentation. Acceptable forms of documentation include a letter or the form available on the website with signed documentation of the service done and number of hours. Service hours may be completed at the same place and should be signed off by a non-family member. The hours may begin at the beginning of his/her seventh-grade year and need to be completed by the first day of 8th grade.
Reasons for ineligibility include:
- Receiving an office referral
- Discipline Probation
- Receiving an N on your report card from more than one teacher during his/her sixth or seventh grade report cards
- Receiving a U on your report card from any teacher on his/her sixth or seventh grade report cards
- Two 6-demerit notices in the same grading period within sixth or seventh grade
- Three or more detentions for the sixth and seventh grade school year, (only two detentions total are allowed)
- Any flagrant violation of the Code of Student Conduct such as, but not limited to, vandalism, fighting, stealing, cheating, or plagiarism will be grounds for non-selection or removal from NJHS
- Any student knowingly participating in bullying or hazing other students will also be ineligible for the organization
We are looking forward to inviting incoming eighth graders who have demonstrated both positive behavior and academics to join NJHS, please look for your invitation/application to join in September.
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Benoit, Mrs. Butler, or Mrs. Noga through the Academics Tab above.