Connect-ED for August 16th, 2020
Good evening Southern Oak families and welcome to a brand new school year! We are so excited to partner with you to provide the absolute best education for your child while at the forefront maintaining a safe and healthy learning environment. Following CDC guidelines we are busy putting processes in place to make sure students, staff and the community are safe. Please listen to the following updates for the 2020-2021 school year :
- We will be having our annual Meet 'n Greet on Friday, August 21st from 1-3. This Meet Your Teacher opportunity will be held virtually this school year. Your child’s teachers as well as school administrators will be contacting you next week. There will also be an opportunity for you to ask questions or share concerns with your child’s teacher through the same computer program the children and teachers used in the spring, Microsoft Teams. The entire program will be accessible through Teams on the computer so there is no need for you to come to the school. Please stay tuned for more information from your child’s teacher regarding logging in and attending this virtual event.
- Class lists will be posted in Focus by 3:00 pm on Tuesday, August 18th. Again, there is no need to come to the school because we will be posting your child’s class assignment in Portal. If you need a parent log in and password, please call the school at 588-4654 during business hours which are from 7:30 am until 3:30 pm.
- School begins for students on Monday, August 24th. Our school hours for students are 8:45-2:55 pm Monday through Friday. Students may be dropped off in the front of the building no earlier than 8:15 am each morning.
- In order to maintain safety and keep our students and staff healthy, we have incorporated new safety procedures for the arrival and dismissal of students. Starting day 1, August 24th, we are requesting that ALL adults remain in their cars during drop off or pick up in the car circle. We ask that you please do not park and walk your child to the double doors during drop off or pick up so we can minimize the amount of people on campus. If you are coming through the car line each morning, please be sure that your child is ready to exit as you pull up to the numbered spaces in front of the school. There will be plenty of adults on duty to be sure that all students make it to their classrooms safe and sound. We will be following all CDC guidelines regarding social distancing and wearing masks. The expectation will be that students will be kept 6 feet apart at all times and will be expected to wear a mask every day to school. Teachers will incorporate mask breaks as necessary.
- PreK teachers have a new arrival and dismissal process this school year. PreK teachers will be contacting families this week to share this important information.
- As you are planning the items that your child will need for back to school, please remember to add a refillable plastic water bottle to the list labelled with your child's name. Water bottle refill stations will be used for our face to face students.
- If your child requires medication to be given during school hours, please call the school at 588-4654 this week to make an appointment to drop off those medications prior to the start of the school year, between the hours of 8:30-3:30 pm.
- If your child is learning virtually to start the year and you still need a device, please call the school to make arrangements to check one out this week.
- Most of our F2F students (not incoming kindergarteners and new to SO families) are familiar with the layout of the campus. If you have questions or concerns we encourage both new and returning families to contact either Dr. Taylor, principal, or Mrs. Ohmer, Assistant Principal either by phone @ 588-4654 or via email : email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please remember the beginning of this new school year will be like no beginning we have ever experienced.
Safety is paramount, and we need the entire learning community to work together to keep us all safe. Thank you for trusting us with your precious children. We appreciate your cooperation and adapting to our new ways of work focused on safety protocols.
Have a good evening.