Dr. Barbara Hires
Dr. Barbara Hires
Area Superintendent, Area 2
On February 1, 2005, Dr. Barbara Hires was appointed to the position of area superintendent. She received her bachelor of arts degree in elementary education from Bethune-Cookman College, a master’s degree in supervision and administration from Stetson University and her doctoral degree from Nova Southeastern University.
In 1977, Dr. Hires began her teaching career at Pinellas Technical Vocation Center as an hourly teacher. In 1978, she transitioned to Bauder Elementary as a full time teacher. She was appointed assistant principal at Melrose Elementary in August 1989. In January 1991, Dr. Hires was appointed acting principal at Lealman Avenue Elementary and became principal in July 1991. In 1997 she transitioned as principal of Maximo Elementary until being appointed to the position of area superintendent in February 2005.
In 2010, following a reorganization, Dr. Hires served as the Region 5 Superintendent. In 2012, the position was revised to Area Superintendent. As Area 2 Superintendent, she is responsible for the management and supervision of elementary, middle, high and alternative schools. She acts as a liaison between the schools and community, provides informational and training resources to the local and professional community and reports to the superintendent.
Dr. Hires has been recognized for her leadership accomplishments with the following awards and accomplishments:
- Footprint Service Award
- National MicroSociety® CEO Principal’s Award for Outstanding Leadership
- Commissioner's Principal Achievement Award for Outstanding Leadership
- Commitment to Excellence Award
- Title I Distinguished Educator
- Distinguished Service Award
- St. Petersburg NAACP Educator of the Year
- Back to School Speaker at Faith Community Church
- Graduation Speaker at Bethel Metropolitan Church
- Turn-Around Student of the Year Speaker
- Dr. Hires’ professional/civic committee affiliations and community activities include:
- Capital Outlay/Strategic Planning CommitteeExecutive Leadership Team
- Agenda Prep and Superintendent's Cabinet
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Advisory Board
- Community Advisory Board
- District Leadership Team
- Girlfriends Organization
- Concerned Organization for Quality Education for Black Students, Inc.
- Pinellas County Administrators’ Association
- National Association for School Administrators
- Prayer Tower Church of God In Christ
Dr. Hires is a native of Hasting, Florida, and currently resides in St. Petersburg, Florida. As principal of Maximo Elementary, she was featured in Mychal Wynn’s book Increasing Student Achievement, A Guide to School Improvement Planning.