2020 Pinellas County Graduation Ceremonies*
Please watch the following YouTube video for graduation ceremony expectations.
Please review the following Power Point Presentation for all graduation ceremony instructions.
*Pinellas County Schools is aware of the positive COVID-19 cases that have been confirmed at Spectrum Field, the Philadelphia Phillies spring training facility. We spoke to venue management today to understand how this might affect our scheduled graduation ceremonies. At this time, the Phillies are thoroughly disinfecting the facility and our ceremonies are still moving forward as planned. We will continue to monitor the situation with Spectrum Field officials and will post updates as needed.
2020 Pinellas County Schools Graduation Ceremonies
June 17, 2020
Dear Pinellas County Schools Families,
We are excited to celebrate the Class of 2020 and offer a blended commencement ceremony, which combines an extremely personal, in-person experience at Spectrum Field and traditional components through a pre-recorded portion, all of which will be streamed for extended family, friends and the community.
We have listened to your feedback and have been working diligently to ensure in-person graduation ceremonies for the Class of 2020 to the greatest extent feasible. We thank you for your patience as we worked with representatives from Major League Baseball as they made plans for the return of baseball, which greatly impacts the venue availability for graduations. We have also been working with the Department of Health to develop the format and protocols for our ceremonies. Our in-person ceremonies will have a special, abbreviated format that will help ensure the health and well-being of ALL participants.
The in-person, processional ceremonies for the sixteen traditional high schools at Spectrum Field will occur during the week of July 7, 2020. Each graduate will have the opportunity to invite up to four guests to join them at the ceremony. The graduate and their guests will walk on the field together and hear the graduate’s name called. As the graduate walks across the stage and takes a picture, guests will have a front-row experience on the field where they can capture their own pictures and memories.
This model minimizes the risks for all and maximizes the personal experiences for our graduates and their families. We are excited to join you in celebrating your students!
Families will receive additional student- and school-specific details from their principal no later than Wednesday, June 24. After that time, please contact your school administrator if additional questions arise. Updates, including safety and wellness protocols and directions for accessing digital ceremonies, will be available at www.pcsb.org/graduation.
Please see additional information below:
In-Person Processional Ceremonies at Spectrum Field (601 N Old Coachman Rd., Clearwater 33765)
- Each graduate will be allowed up to four guests to escort them onto the field, while maintaining a safe social distance (6 feet) from other families.
- No seats will be provided. The event will be a walking ceremony to ensure the safety of all in attendance.
- Guests will have the opportunity to take pictures of their graduate on stage.
- Guests will reunite with graduates off-stage and exit the field in an orderly fashion, maintaining a safe social distance.
Digital Access to Ceremonies
- Processional ceremonies at Spectrum Field will be streamed live and recorded so that friends and family can view them.
- Traditional portions of the ceremonies have been pre-recorded, including inspiring messages from principals and student leaders.
- Principals will share links to pre-recorded ceremonies, which will be available on the PCS YouTube Channel before the live ceremonies. Processional ceremony live-stream links will also be shared with families.
Spectrum Field Logistics
- The in-person, processional graduation schedule is available below.
- Schools will communicate specific arrival times, gate assignments and parking instructions for each graduate to limit crowd size and maintain safe social distancing.
- Graduates and their guests are encouraged to travel to the field in one vehicle to minimize congestion. We have worked with Spectrum Field and parking will be at no-cost to families.
- Graduates and their guests should remain in their car(s) until their specified arrival time assigned by their school to progress to the assigned gate.
- No bags/purses/backpacks will be allowed on field.
- Diploma pick up for all graduates will take place at Clearwater High School (540 S Hercules Avenue, Clearwater 33746) immediately following the processional ceremonies.
- Ceremonies may be rescheduled if severe weather occurs.
Health and Safety Guidelines
- Graduates and their four guests will be asked self-screening questions to ensure all participants entering the stadium are well.
- Graduates and their four guests will be expected to keep a safe social distance from other groups and avoid handshaking or any other forms of physical contact with others.
- All participants will need to wear face coverings/masks at all times.
- Specially designed ‘Class of 2020’ masks will be provided for graduates. Graduates may take their mask off for their picture on the stage, if they wish.
- Guests will be expected to provide their own masks and wear them throughout their time at the ceremony.
- Please communicate directly with your school administrator if any graduate or guest needs accommodations or an American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter, so arrangements can be made.
Congratulations! We are so very proud of all you have accomplished. The Class of 2020 is truly unforgettable.
Michael A. Grego, Ed.D.
Pinellas County Schools