• Transportation FAQ

    • Can I apply for space available?

      Per school board policy space available will not be considered until after the October FEFP which is usually the last few weeks of the month. Space available applications will only be accepted from students attending their zoned school who live within two miles of the school. Requests will only be accepted for non-ESE stops. Applications may be picked up at the school.

      When can I request a closer stop for my child who attends his/her zoned school?

      Closer stop requests will not be accepted until after September 16th. On that date the parent may call the District Call Center, 727-587-2020, to request the stop to be moved. Upon review by a Route Coordinator, the parent will be contacted when a decision has been made.

      I moved over the weekend/summer. Who do I contact to get a new bus stop for my child?

      It is the parent’s responsibility to provide documentation of address to the school. Upon verification of the address, the school will update the student’s new address in PCS Portal. Once the update is completed, the school will submit a request for transportation to the Transportation Department. The Transportation Department will assign a bus stop, in alignment with School Board policy and State guidelines.

      Why does it take 5 to 7 days to establish a new stop for my child?

      To establish a new bus stop location a new route must be identified and then reviewed by a Transportation Department staff member for any potential hazards. Depending on workload, this process can take up to 7 days. Parents are responsible for the safe transportation of their child to and from school until the new stop information has been communicated to them.

      Whose responsibility is it to inform me that my child’s bus was going to be late?

      A bus is late when it has not arrived more than 30 minutes after its scheduled arrival time. When a bus is late due to unforeseen circumstances, please contact the transportation call center at 727-587-2020.

      Can I drive my child to an alternative bus stop?

      Per school board policy, a student is assigned a stop based on their legal address. Students will not be permitted to board at any other location.

      Who will receive a transportation postcard and when? What if I didn’t receive one?

      Postcards will be mailed the first week in August to all students who rode last year during the February student counts. The following students will also receive a postcard if they are eligible for transportation; a student new to the district, incoming Kindergarten, 6th and 9th grade students. If your student is eligible for transportation and did not receive a postcard, you may call the District Call Center (727-587-2020) and a Customer Service Representative will assist you.

      Who is responsible for the transportation of the student to and from the bus stop or school?

      The parents are responsible for the safe transportation of the student to and from the school bus stop or school. Parents are responsible also for the behavior of their child while at the school bus stop.

      Transportation and Urgent Contacts
      Urgent Contact– Edward Erickson
      Assistant Principal
      (727) 893-1115 x2137

      Penny Dawson
      Data Management Technician, Disston Academy
      (727) 893-1115 x2132

      Planning to move?
      According to the Code of Student Conduct, if you have moved over the summer or will move during the school year, parents are required to give the school their new address within five days of their move. If the school discovers that you have moved and you have not told them, your child could be considered to be “found out of that school’s attendance area.” This could mean an immediate change of school for your child and your child could be deemed ineligible for athletics and other school activities. Follow these easy steps to update your address and to keep the district informed.

      Steps to change your child’s address during the school year:
      1. Click the Student Reservation System button on the home page, and log in with your User ID and Password.
      2. Click on Change of Residence Address link and follow the steps.

      Proof of Residence requires two of the following items: utility bill for power, water, cable, sewer or land-based telephone (not cellular); rental agreement or lease; closing document; Pinellas County tax statement with homestead exemption. The items must be recent and include the name of the parent/guardian and the service/home address.


If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.