February 11, 2024 Callout
Good evening Jaguar Families,
Thank you for your patience with our communications. Over the last two weeks, the District’s School Messenger System has had issues with emails from all schools to parents and staff. If you continue to have issue with this, please go to the Thurgood Marshall Fundamental website and find copies of each weekly communication on the right side of the page.
On Monday night, we look forward to seeing you at our Virtual SAC Learning Lab. Meeting credit will be available and we will discuss ways to best improve Thurgood with safety, academics, and discipline. This meeting will take from 6 to 7pm and the link has been shared in the attached email.
As always, please reach out with any questions or concerns.
Have a great rest of your weekend, thank you for your time, and Go Jaguars!
Monday, February 12th is an A Day – Periods 1-4
Upcoming Events (* denotes Meeting Credit made available)
2/12 – SAC/Learning Lab – Virtual 6pm – 7pm
2/13 – PBIS Valentines Day Dance - 3:50 – 5:30
- Students can purchase this through the PBIS Store for 75 pts
2/16 – No School for Students – (School Based PD for staff)
2/19 – No School for Students – (District Wide Training for Teachers)
Student Update for School Issued Computers
There has been a sharp increase since winter break of students with physically damaged computers – broken screens and purposefully damaged keyboards (removed keyboard frame and/or keys). The process for the ordering of parts to repair these devices is long – 4-6 months from receiving the damaged device to receiving the part from Dell. This has depleted our reserve of loaner computers.
This is a gentle reminder that fines will be assessed for physical damage to devices. Please remind your scholars to treat their school-issued laptop gently and that every backpack should be treated as if there is a laptop inside.
Scholars, please remember to keep your login credentials, your R2D2 and password, private. Your login can be used with malicious intent and cause problems for you and for others. Do not share this information with anyone.
8th Grade Panoramic Photo – Order yours today!
Please Donate - School Store and PBIS
Get Spotted Reading
For Quarter 3, all students will need to access one of the books listed below. These books can be purchased with some being accessible online for free.
Third Nine Weeks
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom (Free Online)
Black Ships Before Troy by Rosemary Sutcliff
Harriet Tubman: Conductor on the Underground Railroad by Ann Petry
The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain (Free Online)
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
The Kon-Tiki Expedition: By Raft Across the South Seas by Thor Heyerdahl
The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald (Free Online)
Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela
Shane by Jack Schaefer
Sports at Thurgood (Track and Flag Football could be next!)
- We had a great season with our first ever basketball games in the Thurgood Marshall Gymnasium.
- Stay tuned for more information about Spring Sports that will begin after Spring Break.
- We are also working with the District Athletics department to become fully invested in Sports for next school year. If this works out, we would compete with all other Pinellas County Middle Schools in an official capacity.
The yearbook costs $37 from Jan 1st - March 31st.
PRE-SALE will close March 31st
(We will have a very limited number of extra books for sale so we strongly encourage our families to pre-order.)
ONLINE ORDER LINK https://www.yearbookordercenter.com/job/515
Yearbooks can also be purchased with cash or a check to TMFMS in Ms. Katz's room – 1-121
Construction of Roadways - Impact for TMFMS Sidewalk on 22nd Ave S
UPDATED PATHWAY for 1/23-1/26
The roadwork began in late December and the 22nd Ave S. roadway, sidewalk and drainage improvement project will continue to construct a sidewalk on the north side of the road and fill in sidewalk gaps on the south side of the road while upgrading ADA features at the side streets. The project also includes a construction of a center left turn lane in front of Thurgood Marshall Fundamental Middle School.
Here is what we can expect:
- Sidewalk on Northside of 22nd Ave will be closed in front of school
- Gate at main entrance of Thurgood on 22nd Ave will be closed to pedestrians
- Gate on 38th Street on the North side of 22nd Ave will be open to pedestrians to enter campus on the Southeast corner in morning and exit in afternoon
- Students walking to and from school will have access to the sidewalk on the South side of 22nd Ave S and
- When we return on January 8th all student walkers and bike riders who would be travelling to or from the West will have to make use of the detour. The trail has a signaled crosswalk with flashers to the West. There is a crossing guard at the corner of 38th St S. on the Southeast corner of the school.
Fundamental Policy Reminders
An Increase has been identified for Infractions that are being tracking in our Student Conductor system for Dress Code, Tardies, Lunch misconduct, and much more. These are the items to remind students about each day as they prepare to leave for school:
* Ripped/Torn Jeans are not permitted
* Gum is not permitted at school
* Skirts/dresses/shorts are not to be more than three inches above the knee
NOTE: These infractions will continue to be tracked and students who continue violation of these guidelines will be provided consequences based on progressive discipline.
PLEASE Update Parent Contact Info in Focus
Parents, please make sure you are updating your email and phone numbers in Focus so we can ensure you are receiving the most up-to-date information regarding school events, testing, academic achievements, athletics, etc. These contact types can be updated if you go to the parent login in in Focus, look for the shortcuts on the right side of the screen, and update/change your contact information. Addresses are still not able to be changed this was as you have to show two proofs of residency.
$1 Donuts – TMFMS Theater Booster Fundraiser
Wednesday Morning; $1 in Bus Circle & Car Circle
All Sales Support TMFMS Theater Boosters
The TMFMS STEM Club will be meeting on Wednesdays and Thursdays in room 5-207 from 4:15-5:15
- Wednesdays – Engineering and Design
- Thursdays - Robotics
Reporting an Absence
Parents, if your student is out sick please make sure you are reporting the student absence on our school website. In the top right corner of the TMFMS website you will see an icon that says "Student Absence." Click on the icon and you will see a large blue circle that says "Report Student Absence." Once you open the blue icon it will open an email to our attendance clerk. In the email please state: your child's name, date of birth, grade level, date of absence and reason for the absence.
- Please use the link below to access the Thurgood Marshall Dress Code for the 2023-2024 School year.
- Hoodies are not permitted on campus. Students are only permitted to wear jackets, sweatshirts, or long sleaved items as long as they do not have an attached hood. All items must adhere to the Fundamental Policies, be school appropriate, and meet the guidelines set forth in the PCS Student Code of Conduct.
- We have provided multiple warnings and submitted a variety of dress code violations for this infraction. Starting Monday, Hoodies will be confiscated if they are being worn on campus. Parents will be able to pick the hoodies up at the front office during normal operating hours. Keeping a hoodie in a backpack or locker is fine as long as it is not out or worn.
UPDATED - TMFMS – Meeting and Events Calendar
Please review the attached document that includes the current list of scheduled events for the year. Use this calendar to guide yourself in deciding which meetings to attend for your meeting credit options. Remember, you will need to attend 6 meetings this year to be in compliance with the Fundamental schools parent agreement. There are also options for volunteer work, chaperones, booster groups and committees that allow for you to earn credits as pertaining to the parent agreement and Fundamental policy. 23.24 TMFMS Meeting Calendar.docx
If you are interested in enrolling your child/ren at R'Club where we focus on teaching Respect, Resourcefulness, Responsibility and Responsiveness then this is the program for you for before and aftercare! Please contact Roshelle Foster (Director) AKA Ms. Ro for more details. First come first served. I may be contacted @ (727)323-7041/(727)433-4346
Cell Phone Policy – Phones are to remain away all day.
Phones that are out in any school setting can be confiscated and provided to the front office where a parent will have to pick up. Phones that are confiscated will not be handed back to students at the end of the day. Students may use phones in the morning as they wait to enter the building, but once they enter for breakfast, the phones are put away. Students are also permitted to use phones after school ends as they wait for buses and parent pick up.
Free to All Students (students will use their Lunch PIN to log they have received a lunch. This PIN will also be used for our Tardy tracking system which will begin next week)
School Hours – Student hours are from 9:40 – 4:10 Monday through Friday.
- Students can be dropped off by parents in the car circle located behind the school off of 19th Ave South.
- Students should not arrive to campus before 9:10 each day.
- Students will be permitted to enter campus at 9:10 each morning where they will report to the cafeteria for breakfast.
- Students must be picked up by 4:40 each afternoon.
- If students are participating in any ELP, Tutoring, Enrichment, or club opportunities, they must be picked up by 5:15pm.
Thank you for your time,