Tarpon Springs Fundamental Elementary - Home of the Tarpon Tigers
Address: 400 E. Harrison St.
Phone: (727) 943-5508
Fax: (727) 942-5443
Pinellas County Schools Administration: (727) 588-6000
Principal: Teresa Price
Student Hours: 8:05 am - 2:15 pm
Office Hours: 7:30 am - 3:30 pm
Y.M.C.A (Before and After School care): 6:30 am - 6:00 pm
Grade levels: K-5
Fundamental School Features:
Tarpon Springs Fundamental was established in 1980. The primary emphasis at TSFES is on the development of attitudes and values about learning while promoting success in academics, student responsibility, and the love of learning. Parents sign an agreement to adhere to features unique to Fundamental schools.
According to the School Board Approved Procedures for District Application (page 11), Fundamental Parents are expected to comply with the following commitments:
- Provide transportation for their child and adhere to opening and closing times.
- Attend all PTA meetings.
- Attend 3 parent/teacher conferences each year.
- Review and sign all homework and the agenda daily.
- Adhere to the Fundamental program and dress code.
Tarpon Springs Fundamental History:
Tarpon Springs Fundamental Elementary became a reality in 1980. North Pinellas parents, lead by Mr. Bud Zimmer, had petitioned the School Board for years to try a fundamental model. As the first fundamental elementary in Pinellas County, TSFES has flourished as an academic success for the last 43 years. The original building had been opened in 1966 as the Union Academy on Harrison Street in Tarpon Springs. In 1996, a new library and media center was constructed to the east of the original building. In 2003, construction began on a new school building with offices, classrooms and cafeteria to the east of the library. The 2004-05 school year opened in the beautiful, new, state of the art facility which had been newly connected to the media center. Outdoor areas were enhanced, playground equipment installed, a covered PE court was added and the old building was razed to make room for a large, grass athletic field. The face lift helped project to the community the wonderful happenings inside the school!
TSFES has K-5 students with 4 grades having 2 classes each and 2 grades having 3 classes each. These "extra" classes roll over with years that have larger enrollment. Tarpon Fundamental's small size fosters the "family" feeling between students, families, and personnel. The Fundamental philosophy embraces a back-to-basics approach which emphasizes structure, student responsibility, homework and parental involvement.
- Grade A from the state, Florida School Recognition Program
- Mighty Mu, Math Mania, Super Scientist and Gifted Math Meet winners
- Students consistently score above district and state averages on state testing
- Student artwork displayed in local museums
Special Services & Programs
- Extended learning opportunities for academic remediation and acceleration
- Gifted education
- Extracurricular programs to support the arts and academic enrichment
Points of Pride
- Blue Ribbon School - 2006, 2018
- Five Star School Award - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Florida Virtual School Award - 2009
- Mayor's Top Apple Award - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Top 10 Pinellas County Teacher of the Year - 2006, 2013
- Florida Power Library Award - 2009
- All State Chorus Participants- 2005, 2010, 2013, 2014
In collaboration with families, we will provide a safe, nurturing environment which inspires life-long learning and fosters responsible citizenship.
100% Student Success
Guidelines for Success:
T- Think Responsibly
S- Show Respect
F- Focus on Learning
E- Expect the Best
S- Safety First