Mt. Vernon's History Mt. Vernon Elementary was the last of the boom schools to be occupied. On June 23, 1926 Heuber Brothers was contracted to build it for $52,000, and the main construction was completed that year. Due to economic conditions which followed Mt. Vernon was not opened as a school until 1931. Between 1954 & 1956 eight more classrooms were added. In 1968, a Media Center was built on campus. During the 1986-87 school year, a new kindergarten pod was built on the northwest side of the property.
Major renovations have been accomplished since the arrival of Ms. Valerie White in 1999. Under her direction, covered walkways were constructed, which allow bus students to stay dry on rainy days. We now have a beautiful, large teacher's workroom. In addition, an office was created for our Assistant Principal. The P.E. field, which was once an oasis of dirt, now has lucious, green grass. The entire school has new windows, a new roof, and new air conditioner units. New doors and new carpet were placed in the main hallway. Some rooms received new tile. The cafeteria has also received major changes. New windows and a new ceiling were installed during the summer of 2001. There was also a large freezer added to the kitchen and the serving line was moved outside of the kitchen to facilitate the changes. Most recently the school has received a fresh coat of paint, beautiful landscaping and a redesigned computer lab in our Media Center.
In the summer of 2008 all the bathrooms in the school were redone with all new fixtures and tile. We were also able to replace the stage curtians. Our school now has an attractive fence around it to ensure the safety of our students. Carpet was removed in our main hallway and pavers were added. The office lobby and clinic were also tiled.
In 2018 we began construction in the front office. The vision is to build a more secure and friendlier looking lobby. We are also adding gardens around the campus as well as sprucing up our courtyard area.