What is Title 1?
Title I is a federally-funded program available to select schools, based on the percentage of students eligible for free and reduced lunch. Title I funds are supplemental to district funds given to schools and are to be used to increase student achievement.
In Pinellas County, Title I serves all students and families in eligible public elementary schools through school-wide programs that provide additional instructional staff and other resources. Title I also allocates funds to provide equitable services for eligible elementary students and their families in identified non-public schools in the district. For a complete list of Pinellas County schools served by Title I, visit www.pcsb.org.
Gulfport Elementary supports the Title I requirements below:
- Develop jointly with parents a written Parent Involvement Policy.
- Hold an annual meeting to inform parents of the school’s participation in the Title I program and their rights to be involved in the school, and about the requirements of Title I.
- Jointly develop with parents a school-parent compact. The compact must state how parents, the entire school staff and students will share in the responsibility for improved student achievement and must be discussed during a parent/teacher conference.
- Provide staff training on parent involvement.
- Provide training and materials to help parents work with their children.
- provide timely information to parents about the Title I program.
- Provide (if requested) an opportunity for regular meetings to allow parents to participate (as appropriate) in decisions about their child’s education and respond to suggestions.
- Offer flexible meeting times.
- Ensure that information sent to parents is in a format and language, to the extent practicable, that parents can understand.
- Coordinate with other agencies/programs.
For more information about Title I or how to be involved, please contact the schoolwide contact for Title 1, Bobbie Khoury, via phone at (727) 893-2643, ext. 2077 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.