The Montessori Method
The Montessori Method was developed by Dr. Maria Montessori because she was troubled by the rigid teaching techniques used in Europe at the time. She felt these blocked many children in their learning efforts. Feeling that the young child had more potential for self-learning than traditional teaching methods allowed, she began to develop this potential through a sensorial approach which teaches the young child through his natural interest in exploring the world through his senses. The Montessori Method emphasizes the prepared environment (designed especially for the child) by utilizing specially-trained teachers and uniquely-designed learning materials and apparatus which are appealing to the child.
Children explore the world through hands-on learning materials and achieve understanding beyond the memorization of simple facts. A life-long love for learning is the result of the work in the Montessori environment. Grace and courtesy lessons teach children of different ages and abilities to treat each other with respect and courtesy. Montessori education is character building, and encourages children to become responsible members of their learning community.
The Montessori Academy at Gulfport Elementary:
Our Montessori Academy has been adapted for operation within the structure of the Pinellas County school system. However, we strive to adhere to the underlying Montessori principles as best as possible.
Some of the notable features of our Montessori classrooms at Gulfport are:
- Multiple ages of students in each classroom (after Kindergarten)
- A teacher and an assistant (called a "tonekeeper" by Dr. Montessori) in every Montessori classroom
- Individualized lessons presented in small groups based on each student's comprehension level
- Students stay with the same teacher for two or more years (after Kindergarten)
- 5th grade students are purposefully prepared for the traditional class environments they will face when they enter middle school
- Qualities such as grace, courtesy, and respect are emphasized
CLICK HERE to download the Gulfport Montessori Academy information brochure.
Good explanations of the Montessori Method can be found at the following website links: