What is Social Studies?
- The National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS) defines social studies as "the integrated study of the social sciences and humanities to promote civic competence."
The Mission of Social Studies
- "The mission of social studies is to help students develop the ability to make informed and reasoned decisions for the public good as citizens of a culturally diverse, democratic society in an interdependent world."
Sixth Grade Social Studies
- United States History from the period of Colonization to the beginning of Reconstruction is the current Sixth grade Social Studies curriculum. History Alive is the textbook resource and may also be accessed on their website. Your child’s teacher will provide enrollment information. Highlighting the connections between periods of art and history, each student also visits the Museum of Fine Arts at no cost to the student.
Seventh Grade Social Studies
- Seventh grade students are enrolled in Civics which is accompanied by a required state administered end of course assessment (EOC). Pinellas County Schools has enjoyed a long partnership with the Lou Frey Institute-Florida Joint Center for Citizenship and uses its curriculum resources. The course focuses on the makeup and functions of national, state, and local government including the rights and responsibilities of citizenship.
Eighth Grade Social Studies
- United States History from the period of Colonization to the beginning of Reconstruction is the Eighth grade Social Studies curriculum. History Alive is the textbook resource and may also be accessed on their website. Students in Advanced U.S. History also participate in the National History Day competition (NHD). First and second place school projects compete in a county competition, winners move on to the state competition and from there possibly onto national level. Finance Park is also included for the Eighth grade curriculum. This is an economic education program which introduces concepts concerning personal financial decisions and career exploration. This unit culminates with a visit to Finance Park at the Stavros Institute.