Positive Behavior Interventions Supports (PBIS)
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is a general term that refers to positive behavioral interventions and systems used to achieve important behavior changes. Successful PBIS programs are dependent upon the entire school community. Every school has a unique climate, so a one size fits all approach is not as effective as interventions based on the needs of the learning community. School-wide PBIS includes proactive strategies for designing, teaching, and supporting appropriate student behaviors. A continuum of PBIS for all students within a school is implemented in all areas of the environment (classrooms, hallways, restrooms, and busses).
Seminole Elementary's school-wide expectations are R.I.S.E.
R - Respect/Responsibility
I - Integrity
S - Self-Contro;
E - Empathy
These expectations and ways to follow them are displayed throughout campus on signs in areas like the hallways, the cafeteria, Media Center, Front Office etc.
RISE connects to our core monthly character traits:
- August – Respect
- September – Responsibility
- October – Cooperation
- November – Citizenship
- December – Kindness
- January – Self – Motivation
- February – Tolerance
- March – Honesty
- April – Self-Control
- May - Caring
Ways that Seminole Elementary follow PBIS are
- Postive Behavior referrals - Once received, the student will bring their RISE Recognition to the front office between 10:30 – 2:00. You will receive a small reward and their name placed on a school-wide list. Once the list of names is full, an administrator will select a handful of students at random to receive a Hunter Hawk stuffed animal. Any RISE Recognition received by non-classroom teachers wil l allow students to place their name on the school-wide list twice.
- Hawk Huddles - a school-wide celebration that recognizes students and staff who exhibit RISE character traits
- Grown Up Glow ups - a way for students to recognize adults for exhibiting RISE traits
- Morning Class Meetings - meetings held each day to allow classes to begin each day as a community of caromg and respectful learners
- Drop Everything and Rise - grade level classes meet with other grade level buddies to practice ways to show RISE the grade levels teams are
- Kindergarten & 5th grade
- 1st & 4th grade
- 2nd & 3rd grade