I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Keri Cortez and I will be your school counselor for the 2023-24 school year. As school counselor, my mission is to promote the academic, personal, and social development of all students here at Ponce De Leon Elementary School.
A LITTLE ABOUT MYSELF
Mrs. Cortez has her Bachelor’s degree in Family and Child Sciences and a Master’s degree in School Counseling. In order to help the students achieve their personal/social and academic goals, I will be providing a multitude of classroom guidance lessons, and individual and group counseling. In addition to this, I will provide character education/development including lessons and incentives.
- HOW DOES A STUDENT SEE A COUNSELOR?
If a student would like to see a counselor, he/she should ask a teacher for a pass to go to the counseling office. Unless the student has an urgent need to see a counselor, the teacher may recommend a specific time for the student to leave class, so that the student does not miss too much important academic information. Additionally, a student is welcome to see his/her counselor during lunchtime when given permission beforehand. Students will be seen immediately whenever possible.
- HOW DOES A PARENT/GUARDIAN SEE A COUNSELOR?
Parents and guardians are welcome to meet with counselors and are asked to make appointments in advance, to ensure that the counselor will be available. You may call or email a counselor to set-up a meeting.
- WHY WOULD A STUDENT SEE A SCHOOL COUNSELOR?
- Academic/Educational Counseling – Students sometimes have academic problems in areas including study habits, expectations, time management, organizational skills, and the level of the curriculum. A counselor may assist students in exploring solutions to these and other academic problems.
- Personal/Social Counseling – A counselor may assist students to develop skills to interact more effectively with others, identify personal values, talents and interests and transition into and out of elementary school. The counselor will also provide support and assistance to students and families in crisis and can provide referrals to outside agencies for more extensive assistance including counseling, evaluations or treatment.
- Career/Vocational Counseling –A elementary school counselor may assist students in the early stages of career exploration.