Anona Advanced Academics 2017-2018
Morgan Fitzgerald Center for Gifted Studies
We had a blast touring The Center for Gifted Studies at Morgan Fitzgerald Middle School. Students were able to shadow a 6th grade buddy and experience a day in the life of a middle-schooler. Thank you so much to Cathy Mullins and all of the teachers at MFMS for opening your classrooms to our students at Anona Elemenetary.
Parents, don't forget that MFMS will be hosting a Discovery Night Wed. Dec. 6th at 6:00pm. Contact MFMS at 727-547-4526 if you have any other questions.
Museum of Fine Art Field Trip
- Friday February 2, 2018 - be on the look out for permission slips after the break
- 9:15am - 2:15 pm
- cost: $25 per student/chaperone - includes cost of admission and transportation
- Tour: Star Wars and the Power of Costume
- Advanced Academics students need the opportunity to experience the creative thought process in action. This exhibit allows students to closely examine the captivating process of costume design. We are focusing on the creative process and the challenges of turning thoughts into reality.
- Lunch would be held outside.
- After lunch, a self-guided tour of the other exhibits at the museum.
Kids Care Project
Our students worked very hard and collected 531 pairs of new socks for Socktober. These socks have been donated to homeless shelters in our local community to support families and individuals this winter. Thank you for your support with our community service project.
- Hands-On Equations is a whole brain approach to teaching algebra to students in grades 3, 4, and 5.
- The lessons move from concrete manipulatives to drawn representations to numerical/alphabetic expressions. After learning the foundational concepts of algebra, students are introduced to word-problems that require logical, multi-step reasoning to solve.
- Hands-On Equations is part of a grant currently posted on the Pinellas Education Foundation’s website to enrich our math curriculum, creative and critical thinking activities, and flexible seating options.
- Please click here to see the entire grant and consider a donation to help the Advanced Academics program at Anona Elementary.
2017-2018 Advanced Academics Schedule
The advanced academics curriculum encompasses math, language arts, and scientific investigation. We will begin the year with reading mystery literature and working on group and independent book reports and our Kid’s Care Project. There are some fun surprises planned for the middle of the year and we will culminate the year with research and our “CSI Museum”.
Chromatography is the separation of a mixture (such as black ink) by using a solution or suspension (such as
water) through a medium (coffee filter) in which the components move at different rates and seperate. It is a frequently used forensics technique. Check our our CSI links page to see some short youtube videos about chromatography.
- Gifted students’ physical, emotional, social, and intellectual growth is often uneven.
- Can have surprisingly heightened emotionally sensitivity
- We discuss stressors and coping skills, personal strengths and weaknesses, feelings and emotions related to school, friends, family, and life situations, etc.
- We work to foster a positive outlook and sense of gratitude for the good things in life and develop skills for proactively dealing with difficult situations.
Everyone deals with stress in their lives, especially gifted kids, and we all need healthy coping skills for dealing with that stress.
Then when students are feeling stressed out about something they can use their “Stress Box” to help them relax.
The daily schedule is:
K/1st – 8:35-9:15
2nd – 9:15-10:05
5th – 11:15-12:15
3rd – 12:50-1:40