Anona Advanced Academics 2017-2018
Museum of Fine Art Field Trip
- Friday February 2, 2018 - please be on-time to school
- Show off your Anona Pride by wearing your Super Sleuth or Anona shirt on the trip.
- Tour: Star Wars and the Power of Costume
- Advanced Academics students need the opportunity to experience the creative thought process in action. This exhibit allows students to closely examine the captivating process of costume design. We are focusing on the creative process and the challenges of turning thoughts into reality.
- Lunch would be held outside. The weather will be around 70 degrees, so students may want a jacket.
- After lunch, a self-guided tour of the other exhibits at the museum.
Kids Care Project
Our students worked very hard and collected 531 pairs of new socks for Socktober. These socks have been donated to homeless shelters in our local community to support families and individuals this winter. Thank you for your support with our community service project.
Thank you to Anona's PTA and Walk-A-Thon!
I was able to purchase Hands-On Equations for our Advanced Academics students.
- Hands-On Equations is a whole brain approach to teaching algebra to students in grades 3, 4, and 5.
- The lessons move from concrete manipulatives to drawn representations to numerical/alphabetic expressions. After learning the foundational concepts of algebra, students are introduced to word-problems that require logical, multi-step reasoning to solve.
- We started exploring algebra and how to balance equations last week in class. Students will quickly develop their ability to think logically through a variety of algebra problems and begin using algebra to solve word-problems.
2017-2018 Advanced Academics Schedule
The advanced academics curriculum encompasses math, language arts, and scientific investigation. We will begin the year with reading mystery literature and working on group and independent book reports and our Kid’s Care Project. There are some fun surprises planned for the middle of the year and we will culminate the year with research and our “CSI Museum”.
Chromatography is the separation of a mixture (such as black ink) by using a solution or suspension (such as
water) through a medium (coffee filter) in which the components move at different rates and seperate. It is a frequently used forensics technique. Check our our CSI links page to see some short youtube videos about chromatography.
- Gifted students’ physical, emotional, social, and intellectual growth is often uneven.
- Can have surprisingly heightened emotionally sensitivity
- We discuss stressors and coping skills, personal strengths and weaknesses, feelings and emotions related to school, friends, family, and life situations, etc.
- We work to foster a positive outlook and sense of gratitude for the good things in life and develop skills for proactively dealing with difficult situations.
Everyone deals with stress in their lives, especially gifted kids, and we all need healthy coping skills for dealing with that stress.
Then when students are feeling stressed out about something they can use their “Stress Box” to help them relax.
The daily schedule is:
K/1st – 8:35-9:15
2nd – 9:15-10:05
5th – 11:15-12:15
3rd – 12:50-1:40