Boca Ciega High School was designated an Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) National Demonstration School in Febraury of 2017, revalidated in November of 2019. Demonstration Schools undergo a rigorous validation process and are required to be revalidated every few years to ensure high levels of implementation, with quality and fidelity to AVID strategies schoolwide.
Boca Ciega implemented the AVID program in 2006. Now, more than 750 students participate in AVID at Boca Ciega. AVID is a proven, data-driven program with decades of measurable results. One of the most consistent indicators of AVID's success is the rate at which students apply to and are accepted to four-year colleges, which is around 80 percent.
National Demonstration Schools undergo a rigorous 18-month validation process and are required to be revalidated by the national team every three years to ensure high levels of implementation. Schools and districts across the country interested in implementing or expanding AVID programs will have the opportunity to visit both Boca Ciega to see successful AVID systems in action. Among other factors, AVID National Demonstration School’s demonstrate a school-wide approach to college readiness, evidence of student achievement school-wide and a leadership committed to college readiness for all students. AVID is a global nonprofit organization dedicated to closing the achievement gap by preparing all students for college and other postsecondary opportunities.
What are AVID National Demonstration Schools?
AVID National Demonstration Schools are exemplary models of the AVID College Readiness System.
Demonstration Schools undergo a rigorous validation process and are required to be revalidated every few years to ensure high levels of implementation, with quality and fidelity to AVID strategies schoolwide. Schools and districts interested in implementing AVID, or expanding AVID in their districts or at their schools, can arrange to visit a National Demonstration School and experience a highly successful AVID System in action. At an AVID National Demonstration School, visitors can observe:
- AVID as a schoolwide approach to college readiness.
- Evidence of student achievement schoolwide.
- Strong and committed leadership to college readiness for all students at both school and district levels
- A center of learning for AVID best practices schoolwide.
- A committed team of trained AVID educators dedicated to successful implementation of the AVID College Readiness System for all students.
- Models for excellent inquiry-based AVID tutorials—both in the AVID Elective and, in some schools, selected content classrooms.
- A showplace of the commitment and synergy that a strong AVID System creates for schoolwide college readiness