Principal Houston's Welcome Back Letter
Principal Houston’s Welcome Back Letter
Bear Creek’s is committed to ‘Showing Up’ for students, staff, families and SELF!
August 1, 2023
Welcome Back Bear Creek Families,
I hope that you all found time over the summer break to pause and show up for your family. As we prepare for the start of the 2023-2024 school year, Bear Creek’s staff is still committed to ‘Showing Up’ for our students, staff, families, community, and self. Our mission of providing all children with a challenging, high-quality education for their academic and vocational success will continue to guide our work.
As educators, we are charged with the shared responsibility of educating students, while making a positive impact on their lives. As the principal of Bear Creek, it is my duty to ensure that the academic, behavior and social-emotional needs for every student are known and met. In the spirit of new beginnings, I challenge each of you to Show up for Bear Creek!
Fall 2019 brought about many safety changes for schools in Florida. As a result of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act, several safety measures were put into place in Pinellas County Schools. Due to those safety measures, Pre-K and Kindergarten families will be allowed to walk their children to class on the first day of school Thursday, August 10th. Pre-K and K parents will not be permitted to enter the classrooms; however, may walk their child(ren) to the entry way or classroom door. Beyond the first day of school, students will be required to walk to class without a parent or guardian. Please rest assured in knowing that there will be staff on hand to help your student(s) get to their classrooms safely.
REMINDER Electronic Back-to-School Forms are now available for parents via Parent Portal:
Please see enclosed TIPS form
- Parent Acknowledgement of Student Code of Conduct
- Media Release
- School/Classroom Library Materials Access Preference (NEW)
- Directory Information Optional Opt-Out
- Network/Internet Acceptable Use Agreement
- Technology Equipment Acceptance and Responsibility
- Residency Questionnaire
- School-Based Healthcare Services
- Student Clinic Card
UPDATES for the 2023/2024 school year
Our official first day of school is Thursday, August 10th. Whether students are car riders, bus riders, walk, or bike to school; please consider the following:
- Student attendance is important and being on time matters.
- Our student hours are 8:45am-2:55pm.
- Pre-K drop-off is from 8:30am-8:45am using the designated Pre-K drop-off location in the car circle, zones 1-3. Car circle zones 1-3 are designated only for Pre-K drop off.
- Our front office hours are 8:15am-3:55pm.
- Students K-5 are not permitted on campus until 8:15am (unless enrolled in the YMCA).
- All students must adhere to the Bear Creek expectations and all students are required to wear a uniform.
- Collared solid color in navy, light blue or white (no designs or patterns)
- Bear Creek Spirit t-shirts – can be worn on any day of the week. Shirts should always be tucked.
- Khaki or navy shorts, slacks, skirts, shorts, capris, or jumpers
- No jeans, sweatpants, cargo pants or baggy clothing
- Pants must be worn at waistline. If not, a belt must be worn.
- Safe and appropriate footwear must always be worn. Inappropriate footwear includes, but is not limited to – Crocs, backless shoes, sandals, roller skates, and bedroom slippers.
- Winter Wear
- Solid color sweatshirts, sweaters, and jackets in navy, light blue or white
- No printing or designs allowed on outerwear
- Hoods/hats may not be worn inside the classroom
- Car riders must be dropped off in the car circle at 8:15am.
- All students (car rider, bike riders and walkers) must use the single point of entry (car circle) to gain access to our campus. Students are not permitted on campus until 8:15am.
- As in the previous years, all students arriving before 8:30am must report directly to the cafeteria.
- Breakfast is free to all students and served daily from 8:15am - 8:45am.
- Students arriving after 8:45am are considered tardy and must report to front office.
To reduce the use of paper, we will continue using electronic forms of communication with families. This year you can keep up with Bear Creek in the following ways:
- The Bear Creek website will be our primary source of communication at https://www.pcsb.org/bearcreek-es. All weekly communication updates will be posted on our website by 6pm Sunday.
- ClassDojo will be used primarily for school-wide reminders and daily communication between parents and instructional staff.
- School Messenger will be used on occasion to remind families or previously communicated information shared on the Bear Creek website.
- Student agendas will also serve as a communication tool.
Bear Creek is looking forward to another great school year!
~Committed to ‘Showing Up’ for students, staff, families and SELF~