Advancement Via Individual Determination
Avid adj. (L. avidus, eager for knowledge)
What is AVID?
AVID is an academic, regularly scheduled elective class, during the school day, based on writing as a tool of learning, the inquiry method and collaborative grouping. The three main components of the program are:
- Academic Instruction
- Tutorial support
- Motivational activities
AVID Mission Statement:
AVID’s mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
Who is an AVID Student?
AVID students in the middle, capable of completing a college preparatory path with support. These students often are not realizing their full potential academically. In the identification process a number of criteria are considered, including:
- States Scores
- 2.0-3.5 GPA
- Desire and Determination
- First in the Family to Attend College
- Historically underrepresented in 4-year colleges/ Universities
- Economically Disadvantaged
- Other Special Circumstances
- Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization Reading, (WICOR) methodologies are the basis for curriculum instruction.
- Students participate in field trips to colleges/universities.
- College students act as role models and facilitate academic discussion in regularly scheduled tutorial groups.
- Students develop academic and social skills for the success in all subject areas
- Guest speaker provide motivation and college and professional career information
- AVID students participated in extracurricular and community events.
The AVID Parent
AVID parents encourage their students to achieve academically, participate on an advisory board and in AVID parent and site team meetings, and maintain regular contact with the AVID coordinator.
The Avid Tutor
Tutors are essential to the success of the AVID elective class, where they facilitate student access to rigorous curriculum. As students from colleges and universities, tutors receive formal training and also serve as role models. AVID students who continue their education in college often return to the program as tutors.
For Additional information on AVID please contact:
Ms. Lidija Milisav
AVID Site Coordinator