Azalea Middle School Improvement Plan Summary
Target: Increased proficiency levels in literacy, math, science and civics as measured by FSA and FCAT 2.0, and End of Course Exams
Goal 1: African American students will increase proficiency to meet identified targets in each FSA and EOC tested subject area by receiving equitable access to extended learning opportunities, and support for success in advanced and honors classes.
· Use AVID as support for increased access to and success in honors and advanced classes
o Identify African American students who meet the AVID participation criteria and actively recruit them to participate.
· Provide extended learning and enrichment opportunities to students in need of additional supports
o Azalea will target African American students based on FCAT scores and invite them to extended learning and enrichment activities.
o Azalea will use ELP funds to provide consistent transportation for after school remediation, recovery and enrichment programs
Goal 2: All subgroups will increase proficiency to meet identified targets in each FSA and EOC tested subject areas by actively engaging daily in rigorous lessons aligned to Florida Standards to prepare students for college and career
· Teachers and coaches will collaboratively plan and implement rigorous and engaging lessons utilizing PLC work document
o Effectively use common planning time 80 minutes per week
o Utilize coaching support for professional growth
o Engage in relevant professional development aligned to planning rigorous and engaging lessons.
o Engage in Lesson Study and peer observations
o Use text Classroom Instruction that Works: Researched-based strategies for increasing student achievement by Dean, Hubbell, Pitler & Stone as book student and resource during PLCs.
· School staff will implement positive behavior systems that maximize instructional time
o MTSS Facilitator coordinates processes to analyze behavior data
o Cross content teams implement appropriate interventions
o Utilize Child Study Team or Tier 3 Team for support
· School staff will collaborate and communicate with parents regarding the impact of good attendance on academic success
o Cross content teams initiate communication with parents
o Staff logs interactions in Portal
o Facilitate Title 1 Family Knights
Goal 3: All subgroups will increase literacy proficiency to meet identified reading and writing FSA targets by answering text dependent questions aligned to complex text through writing and speaking daily across all contents.
· Establish and continue work with common school-wide routines and expectations for integration of reading strategies and writing opportunities into daily instruction
o Create close reading lessons: text marking and coding, direct vocab instruction, text dependent questions, writing in response to reading and thinking
o Use common short and extended writing rubrics aligned to FSA
o Science teachers will lead students in creating interactive notebooks that include writing lab reports during inquiry based science projects.
o Social studies teachers will continue to integrate LAFS for Literacy into the social studies content via the Document Based Questions (DBQ) Project.
o Math teachers provide students with opportunities to read informational and persuasive texts, write about the process and outcomes of their investigations, and use the language of math as they work through each problem.
· Establish common school-wide routines and expectations for vocabulary acquisition
o Identify appropriate school-wide vocabulary routines
o Provide professional development for cross content teams on established routines
o Incorporate strategies into weekly lessons with students
o Review student word work to determine reteach/further instruction
· Use multiple avenues of communication with parents regarding the instructional shifts needed to implement the Language Arts Florida Standards and how they can support students at home.
o Title 1 parent events (Back to School Knight, Literacy Knight, etc.)
o Other parent events (PTA, SAC, awards, orientation)
o Other parent communication (Website, School Messenger calls, marquee, emails, parent conference)
Goal 4: All subgroups will increase proficiency to meet targets in each FSA and EOC assessment through teachers engaging in the problem solving process in order to differentiate instruction to ensure that every student meets the rigorous demands of the FS.
· Develop a proactive approach to collect and utilize data to inform instruction (core, whole group, small group, intervention, acceleration)
o Implement learning goals and scales, progress monitoring strategies in all classrooms
o Use research validated Content Enhancement strategies for scaffolding and reteaching
o Effective use of common planning, cross content teams, grade level and full faculty PLC time to analyze data and plan appropriate intervention.
o Utilize technology to collect data for analysis (i.e. Smart Response Clickers, TI Inspire calculators, etc)
o Provide after school tutoring and enrichment opportunities for students identified as needing supplemental supports.
o Provide supplemental supports in reading classrooms.
Goal 5: The percentage of all students receiving disciplinary action will decrease 10 percent and the percentage of African American students receiving disciplinary action will decrease by 20 percent from previous year by explicitly teaching students social, emotional, behavioral, and self-management skills.
· Establish school –wide expectation and routines with a system of accountability to address student needs.
o Homeroom – Overcoming Obstacles, gender-based, explicitly teach school-wide expectations and routines
o Teach students to monitor their own progress (grades, GPA, behavior points, referrals, and attendance) during homeroom.
o Cross Content Teams monitor student behavior points and intervene appropriately as needed (i.e. goal setting, encouragement, parent contact, disciplinary action)
· Implement a multi-tiered system of student support with fidelity
o Staff will engage in professional development on MTSS and learn Azalea’s process for providing supplemental supports.
o Staff will use the problem solving process to align identified barriers using EWS data.
· Increase staff cultural awareness and responsiveness
o Build foundation for culturally responsive teaching through Azalea Learns preschool professional development.
o Use Principal Kafele’s book Closing the Attitude Gap: How to fire up your students to strive for success to guide professional development in cultural proficiency.
o Contract with Principal Kafele to meet with staff twice during the fall.
· School staff will collaborate and communicate with parents regarding school-wide expectations and their child’s performance
o Cross content teams initiate communication with parents (phone calls, texts, emails, notes home in agenda, formal/informal conferences)
o Log actions in Portal
o Title 1 Family Knights