Melrose Elementary - Home of The Mighty Manatees
Address: 1752 13th Ave. S. St. Petersburg, FL 33712
Phone: (727) 893-2175
Fax: (727) 893-1884
Pinellas County Schools Administration: (727) 588-6000
Principal: Melanie Hill-Anderson
School Hours: 8:30 am- 3:15 pm
Breakfast is served from 8:00 am - 8:20 am
Melrose Elementary is a magnet school for multimedia journalism that prepares scholars with academic and life skills. Starting in kindergarten, our journalism students learn how to confidently interact with others, look people in the eye, shake hands firmly, ask thoughtful questions and listen and learn from the answers. This knowledge will serve students no matter what paths their lives take. Mastering the fundamentals of journalism — reading, reporting, writing and photographing still and video images — culminates for young journalists in the thrill of seeing their work published or aired. Pride in their work and the ability to tell the stories of their communities are rewards that build strong, engaged citizens. The Journalism and Multimedia program is supported by a community advisory board comprising of representatives of top institutions of higher education. The city of St. Petersburg, Pinellas County Schools' administration, businesses and other community volunteers. Parent engagement is encouraged in all aspects of scholars' learning.
Dress Code: View Dress Code Info
Points of Pride
- Journalism and multimedia instruction for all scholars Kindergarten through fifth grade
- College and career readiness mindset and atmosphere
- Gifted education
- Computer labs, 1:1 laptops for scholars in grades 1-5, Canon digital cameras, iPads for mobile reporting kits, and SMARTBoards.
- Responsive classrooms, with emphasis on building class and school community
- Research-based strategies implemented daily
Vision Statement: The vision of Melrose Elementary School is to become a progressive educational institution fostering high levels of achievement for all students.
Mission Statement: The mission at Melrose Center for Journalism and Multimedia is to educate and prepare each student for college, and career readiness, in order to:
- increase the academic performance of underserved students
- develop effective educators
- share successful practices with other forward-thinking educators
- catalyze change in Melrose.