Requirements & Information
Visit the SHMS Physical Education Department Webpage(Login Required):
*Please check back frequently as we will update each sport's calendar and specific information often*
All Students need to have the following in order to tryout for all sports:
1. Recent Sports Physical - please visit your student's primary physical and/or local health clinic to review an updated physical. PLEASE inform the doctor you need the physical completed on the SPORTS PHYSICAL FORM, they should have this information as it is a Florida State form.
2. School Insurance - Required, please visit the County Student Insurance site to purchase.
3. Athletic Participation Form
What Safety Harbor Middle School Offers:
Any team NOT submitting a completed registration packet will not be eligible to play.
- Volleyball is the first sport of the year at SHMS. Tryouts begin the 2nd week of school, where students of all grades compete to be part of our elite squad. Our volleyball teams are competitive and consist of 14-16 players per team. Practice is a daily routine and games are played twice per week. This program has a reputation of being the best and we hold our players to the standard of being the leaders of our school academically and athletically. Season ends at the end of October.
- Basketball tryouts will start at the end October. Students of all grades are able to tryout and as many as 13-15 players will make the team. Tryouts take place either before or after school, and games are typically twice a week. We typically play 10 games per season. The season ends towards the end of January.
- Track tryouts start the first week in February. As many as 25 boys and 25 girls will make the team. Our season consists of four dual meets and one district meet that takes place over two days. Practices are primarily held after school with meets taking place at local high schools on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays. The season typically wraps up the week before spring break.
- Track and Field Student Athlete Contract
- There are two Cheer teams a year. A season for volleyball (Sept./Oct) and for basketball (Nov/Dec/Jan).
- Students must try out each season, even if they were on the team the previous season. The cheer tryouts are open to both girls and boys and follow the same process. Day one of try-outs we learn our season cheer and dance. Day two of try-outs is performing the cheer and dance in front of a panel of judges. The top try-out scores make the team. Usually practices are Tuesday and Thursday mornings before school. We cheer only for home games and are usually held on Monday and Wednesday after school. We take anywhere from 10-12 cheerleaders a season. Required paperwork to try out is a physical, school insurance, and signed participation form.
- Indoor Soccer
- The Indoor Soccer program is an intramural student run league. Students are responsible for forming their own teams, familiarizing themselves with the rules, and playing games. Teams may consist of 6-8 players of any grade or gender as long as they are current SHMS students. We play in the gym before school at 8:00 am, 8:20 am, and 8:40 am during the season which begins the first week of February. An informational meeting will be held in December/January.