YREADS! LITERACY PROGRAM
The goal of YReads! is to successfully close the gap between students' reading performance and the state of Florida's reading-performance expectations.
- YReads! is a free reading program for students who are referred by their teachers or other school personnel.
- YReads! provides the resources necessary to improve reading levels in students from kindergarten to eighth grade while developing greater self-esteem and social skills.
- Trained staff and mentors provide intensive reading instruction in small groups during individualized lessons
What are we teaching?
- Phonemic Awareness: knowing that words are made up of sounds.
- Phonics: the link between sounds and letters.
- Fluency: the ability to read words accurately and quickly.
- Vocabulary: what words mean and how to say them
- Comprehension: the ability to understand what is read.
- Snack time: A time for refueling and socializing
- Community time: This allows children to share their thoughts and ideas with classmates. Children get to practice taking turns, learn respect for other opinions and understand the need for rules.
- SIPPS: Our phonics curriculum in small groups
- Comprehension: The goal is to develop the ability to read, text, process it, and understand its meaning.
- Read Aloud: This activity helps to build listening skills, vocabulary, background knowledge, comprehension as well as classroom community.
- Literacy game: The day is finished with a game that highlights a skill covered in the "work" the students have completed.
Registration Packets can be found in Meadowlawn's Front Office.
Questions? Please contact the YReads! Coordinator Shianne Jourdan firstname.lastname@example.org