Battle of the Books is a reading program for students in 3rd thru 5th grade. The list of books comes from the Sunshine State Young Reader's Award titles. The program is a "quiz bowl" type of game in which teams try to answer content questions and identify titles and authors of the 15 Sunshine State Young Readers Award titles. Questions are based on plots, settings and characters. Students are expected to read a minimum of 10 of the 15 chosen books in order to take the qualifying test. Taking the qualifying test does not guarantee making a team. However, those who score well enough will be placed on teams to compete in our school Battle of the Books competition. The winning team at the school level will go on to compete at the Regional Competition.
Battle of the Book Club
Media Center Computer Lab 1
Media Center Via Teams
Conference Hall at the Pinellas County Schools Administration BuildingBattle of the Books aligns with Pinellas County Schools' primary strategic direction of highest student achievement:
- By improving reading and comprehension skills.
- By promoting creative thinking and problem solving.
- By promoting the Sunshine State Young Readers Awards books.
- By promoting testing for comprehension of reading materials.
- By encouraging recreational reading.
- By exposing students to a variety of literature.
Battle of the Books aligns with Pinellas County Schools' strategic direction of partnerships:
- By actively involving the community.
- By forming partnerships between teachers at different grade levels .