St. Petersburg High School was founded in 1898 and graduated its first student in 1901. The opening and the dedication of the new million dollar SPHS facility on December 14, 1926 was a brilliant event, marking a final achievement by city and county leaders. The building was designed by William B. Ittner and spearheaded by Captain George M. Lynch, County Superintendent.
The new SPHS facility was written up in various magazines and newspapers. The F.E.A. Journal and Palmetto and Pine gave much space to descriptions of its features:
"The finest school building in the South ... superb equipment and unique architecture ... an enormous auditorium with a stage as large as those in the greatest theaters in the world, on which basketball contests may be staged ... shower rooms, lockers not only in shower rooms but also individual ... tennis courts, baseball diamonds, football gridiron ... cafeteria for 1,200 ... private waterworks ... electric light plant, oil-burning boilers for heat ... rambling Spanish architecture makes the three-story building look long, low, impressive ... an inspiration to walk toward it ... to see the sun on the red-tiled roof ... inside, one is almost lost at first."
Through the years the faculty, students, and alumni have continued many of the fine traditions that make SPHS special. The school spirit of the mighty "Green Devils" is evident in the academic and extracurricular activities as well as athletic programs.
SPHS has primarily an academic program with seventy-five percent of our graduates going on to college. The curriculum, however, is designed to best suit the needs of all the students. The school is fully accredited by both the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the State of Florida.
The 1980-81 school year marked the beginning of the "Give the Devil His Due" campaign. The parents, alumni, administration, and faculty that comprised the Fair Share Committee brought to the attention of the Pinellas County School Board of the needs for restoration, renovation, and expansion of the 55-year-old campus. Attainment of this goal will result in securing adequate educational facilities as well as restoring a historic St. Petersburg landmark.