Welcome to North Shore Elementary Physical Education
Our goal in PE is to make physical activity fun and enjoyable so that children will begin to learn healthy habits that will last a lifetime. Exercise, teamwork, social skills and sportsmanship are all valuable ingredients that help develop mentally, physically and emotionally healthy children.
How often will my child have PE?
- Each student will have PE three times a week so please make sure you are aware of your child’s schedule and make sure that they are appropriately dressed in athletic clothing and tennis shoes on that day. For your child’s safety, they will not be able to participate if they are not dressed in correct attire.
What do I do if my child has not been feeling well or is injured?
- Please provide a written note if your child needs to be excused from PE that day. A medical excuse from a physician is only required is your child must miss more than three consecutive days of PE.
What about hydration and cold weather?
- We are extremely active in PE so it can get quite hot even during winter months.
- Please be sure to send your child to school with a water bottle. Only water is allowed in the bottles and no food is permitted in the PE area.
- Be sure that your child’s name is written inside of their jackets in addition to discussing the importance of always picking up their jacket at the end of class if they take it off.
What are the rules and conduct expectations for PE?
- There are three primary rules for our class that are intended to establish a physically and emotionally safe environment. Those rules are:
- LISTEN to instructions the first time
- RESPECT others
- Physical/Emotional SAFETY first
When students listen to instructions and respect others our classroom will be a physically and emotionally safe environment for everybody.
What are the consequences if a class rule is broken?
The consequences in our class are intended to be corrective, not punitive. Those consequences include verbal and nonverbal corrections, self-reflection, written self-reflection, parent contact and office referrals if necessary.
Are there any rewards for excellence and good behavior?
Absolutely! We love to acknowledge both individuals and classes with verbal/nonverbal praise, class and/or school shout outs, Dojo points, positive notes/calls home, mystery motivators and many more!
Skill/knowledge grades and conduct grades are posted each grading period using the following scale.
E - Excellent
V - Very Good
S - Satisfactory
N - Needs Improvement
U – Unsatisfactory
We look forward to a fun and exciting year in Physical Education!