Commercial Vehicle Driving
Length 320 Hours Admissions Contact Student Services- 727-893-2500 ext. 2520 Course Information Laura Kingsland - firstname.lastname@example.org Flyer Download Program Costs Download
Mission: The mission of this program is to help individuals reach their potential by providing cost-effective education and training for employment in the trucking industry.
Why Attend Pinellas Technical College?
- Small Class Size
Program I490205 consists of the following course.
Tractor Trailer Truck Driver – Course TRA0080 (320 hours) - This program consists of one course and includes classroom, range driving, and 1,000 miles of hands-on road driving on a variety of roads and conditions. Content includes D.O.T. safety regulations, understanding and complying with vehicle operation regulations, cargo handling and trip planning, vehicle inspection, maintenance and servicing, basic vehicle control procedures and basic vehicle maneuvers. Upon satisfactory completion of all requirements, students will be tested on-site for their Class A Commercial Drivers License (CDL). Those passing will obtain their license from the Department of Motor Vehicles office.
Special Admission Requirements: Students must have a safe driving record, meet background criteria consistent with industry standards, and comply with state and federal licensing requirements. Most employers require employees to be at least 21 years of age. Prospective students between 19-21 years of age will be required to show proof of employment prior to enrollment in the program. Proof of employment in the trucking industry must be a letter (on company letterhead) of intent to hire the individual. Students will submit to a drug screening and background check.
Additional Training/Testing Offered:
- Third-party testing for license classes "A”, "B”, "C”, and Passenger Endorsement
- "Train the Trainer” – for industry personnel to acquire a third-party CDL Testers Certificate issued by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (Tallahassee, FL) – 50 hours
Please call 727-893-2500, extension 2520 for specific dates and times.
Distance Education: The Commercial Vehicle Driving (CVD) program is a combination of academic theory, driving experience on the campus driving range, and driving experience on the road. The majority of the academic theory part of the CVD program is delivered online through our school's current learning management system (LMS), and equals 86 hours of classroom content. Distance education is an option for the academic theory portion of the program only, at the discretion of the instructor(s) and is available only to students enrolled in the program. For additional information go to the 'Online Programs and Courses' page.
Industry Certification(s): Class A Commercial Drivers License (CDL)
- "CDL Study Guide & Pass the Test" www.passthecdltest.wix.com/studyguide
- National Association of Publicly Funded Truck Driving Schools - www.napftds.org
- Women in Trucking - www.WomenInTrucking.org
- Florida Trucking Association - www.FLTrucking.org
- Truckload Carriers Association - www.truckload.org
- American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators - www.aamva.org
- Potential Employers of Graduates
Minimum Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirement: 70%
Minimum Attendance Requirement: 70%
* Length of program and all costs are approximate and subject to change.