Length 450 Hours Admissions Contact Ray Gorman - 727-893-2500 ext. 2587 Course Information Ray Gorman - 727-893-2500 ext. 2587 Flyer Download Program Costs DownloadClick here for the 2017-18 class schedule.
Mission: The mission of this program is to build a more qualified workforce by providing training to current and potential public works employees.
Program I470304 consists of a planned sequence of courses.
Public Works Cadet I - Course ETC0003 (150 hours) - Content includes training in introduction to Public Works, exploration of careers in water systems, exploration in Public Works, employability skills and computer literacy. Training includes the theory and operation of wastewater systems and plant operations, water distribution systems and plant operations. Skills are also obtained through hands-on training in the area of storm water systems, park maintenance, procurement of a Class "B” commercial driver’s license permit and an internship.
Public Works Cadet II - Course ETC0004 (150 hours) - Content includes training in the exploration of careers in Public Works operations, demonstrating people skills as an intern, and procurement of a Class "B” driver’s license.
Public Works Cadet III - Course ETC0005 (150 hours) - Content includes training by performing an internship, employability skills, and entrepreneurship studies.
Special Admission Requirements: This program requires an applicant to be at least 18 years of age, possess a high school diploma or GED, and a valid Florida driver’s license.
Additional Industry Training/Testing Offered: Please call the Public Works Department at 727-893-2500, extension 2588 – for specific dates and times
- Advance Maintenance of Traffic (AMOT)
- FDEP Qualified Stormwater Management Inspector
- Intermediate Maintenance of Traffic (FDOT)
- Intermediate Maintenance of Traffic Refresher (FDOT)
- Traffic Signals Level I (IMSA)
- Traffic Signals Level II (IMSA)
- Traffic Signals Inspection (IMSA)
- Signs and Markings Level I (IMSA)
- Signs and Markings Level II (IMSA)
- Forklift Certification
- CDL Class B Certification
- OSHA Certification
Distance Education: The Public Works program includes distance learning for selected courses, as determined by the instructor. For additional information go to the 'Online Programs and Courses' page.
- Class B Commercial Drivers License (CDL)
- Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) Intermediate Maintenance of Traffic (MOT)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) 10 Hour Safety Certification
- Forklift Certification
Minimum Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirement: 70%
Minimum Attendance Requirement: 70%
Basic Skills Entrance/Exit Requirements: Student's competency in reading, math, and language is pre-assessed using the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE). Required basic skills grade levels are: Reading-9, Math-9, and Language-9.
* Length of program and all costs are approximate and subject to change.