It is with great pleasure that we announce we will be having boys and girls track season this year! Here are some important dates regarding the season:
- March 23rd Information meeting held virtually at 5:30pm on teams.
- March 24th first day of tryouts. Paperwork must be turned in to Ms. Flannery in order to participate in tryouts
- March 25th 2nd day of tryouts. Paperwork must be turned in to Ms. Flannery in order to participate in tryouts
- March 29th regular season begins.
- May 1st regular season ends
- May 2nd Play offs begin (tentatively)
Please remember that all these plans are tentative and can be affected by COVID incidents in our schools and the Tampa Bay Area. The safety of our students and staff is our priority.
In order to participate, students will need 4 pieces of paperwork:
- Middle School Participation Packet
- Student Accident Insurance (even if you have your own insurance this is required)
- Assumption of risk waiver release and hold harmless form (COVID Waiver)
- Student Physical (physicals are good for 1 year)
Paperwork can be handed to Ms. Flannery in room 2-112 or emailed to her at her email below.
Information for School Athletics
Athletic Director - Mrs. Jenieff Watson - firstname.lastname@example.org
Sports and Approximate Season Start Times
All sports except cheerleading field one boys and one girls team selected from the three grade levels.
• Volleyball – August-October
• Cheerleading – August-January
• Basketball – November-January
• Track – February-April
Dunedin Highland Middle School is in a competitive league and playing time for all sports is not guaranteed. It is left to the coach’s discretion based on practice and game performance as to how much playing time is garnered by your child.
Requirements for Eligibility
All students are required to fulfill the following requirements at the time of tryouts. Any student that does not comply will not be eligible to tryout. The GPA requirement does not apply to incoming sixth grade students during the first grading period.
• Participation Form signed by the legal guardian (https://www.pcsb.org/Page/1547)
• 2.0 GPA that is checked at the end of every six weeks
• $5.00 school insurance - Student Insurance
• Updated sports physical dated after (these are good for 365 days from the date of the doctor’s signature)
All paperwork must be copied and brought to the appropriate tryout and handed to the coaches. Paperwork that is on file in the offices will not be accepted as proof due to Pinellas County regulations and liability. The paperwork that is submitted will be kept on file for the year and is accepted for all of the school sports. You do not need new copies for every tryout that is held.Transportation and Requirements for Driving Students
The county does not provide buses to away games and all schools rely on parent volunteers for transporting players to away game sites. Upon completion of an away game, players are not provided a ride back to Dunedin Highland Middle School and it is the parents’ responsibility to pick up their child from the away site promptly upon completion of the event. PCSB policy only requires coaches to remain at practice or the game site for no more than 30 minutes following completion of the event.
Because we depend on volunteers to drive, we are required to comply with county policies applicable to being with students when not in the presence of a school board employee. All drivers must be Level II cleared by the county and fingerprints and a background check are required. For information regarding Level II screening, please visit www.pcsb.org. Also, the proper amount of insurance coverage on your vehicle and passengers is required. The volunteer and driving forms are located in the front office. Background checks and fingerprinting are completed by a third party and take approximately three weeks to complete. If you plan to drive for volleyball or cheerleading, which begin at the beginning of the year, please consider completing your Level II screening prior to the start of the school year. When driving only your own child the forms are not necessary.