Early Childhood Education
Length 600 Hours Admissions Contact
St. Petersburg - Arilee Still - 727-893-2500, ext. 2523
St. Petersburg - Ana Cabezas - firstname.lastname@example.org
Flyer Download Program Costs Download
Mission: The mission of this program is to prepare students for employment in the child care industry. Graduates earn an Early Childhood Professional Certificate (ECPC) diploma and are prepared to be in charge of children in group care.
Program E300100 consists of a planned sequence of courses.
Child Care Worker 1 - Course HEV0870 (150 hours) – Students learn the laws and rules that govern the state and local community in which they are employed. Planning and establishing a safe, clean, and healthy learning environment is also included. Students also gain skills in observation and recording methods, communication skills, as well as recognizing developmentally appropriate practices and guidance techniques.
Child Care Worker 2 - Course HEV0871 (150 hours) – Students continue to build on the skills from Course HEV0870. Professionalism, identifying community needs and resources and taking an active role as part of the child care center staff are covered.
Teacher Aide (Preschool) - Course HEV0872 (150 hours) – Students build on skills learned previously. Content includes theories of child development and guidance, influences that effect child development, planning developmentally appropriate activities for early childhood and special needs children and using appropriate guidance techniques, and demonstrating preschool teacher skills.
Preschool Teacher - Course HEV0873 (150 hours) – Content includes analyzing current trends and issues in early childhood, and demonstrating child care development skills.
This training is accomplished through a variety of instructional techniques and an on-the-job training component.Classes are held at various locations in PinellasCounty.
Special Admission Requirements: This program requires a high school diploma or GED for entry and a person must be at least 18 years old.
Distance Education: Not available
- Statewide Early Childhood Education, A.A.S./A.S. Degree
- Statewide Industry Certification - Child Development Associate to Early Childhood Education, A.A.S./A.S. Degree
Industry Certification(s): Early Childhood Professional Certificate (ECPC)
Apprenticeship: Available – refer to the St. Petersburg Campus Apprenticeship section
- Pinellas Early Childhood Association - www.pinellaseca.org
- Florida Association for the Education of Young Children - www.flaeyc.org
- National Association for the Education of Young Children - www.naeyc.org
- Coordinated Child Care of Pinellas, Inc. - www.childcarepinellas.org
- Juvenile Welfare Board of Pinellas County, FL - www.jwbpinellas.org
- Pinellas County License Board - www.pclb.org
- Early Learning Coalition - www.elcpinellas.net
Minimum Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirement: 70%
Minimum Attendance Requirement: 70%
Basic Skills Entrance/Exit Requirements: Student's competency in reading, math and language is pre-assessed, using the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE). Required basic skills grade levels are: Reading-9, Math-9, and Language-9.
* Length of program and all costs are approximate and subject to change.