Truck Driving Information
COMMERCIAL VEHICLE DRIVING (CVD) – TRUCK DRIVING PROGRAM ENROLLMENT PROCEDURE
Due to compliance issues at both federal and state levels, there are several steps involved in the enrollment procedure for the Truck Driving program. Print this procedure to ensure you complete all steps. To obtain each form, just click on the specific form/document as you go through the process. Please follow each step in the order specified below.
1. Review the two documents listed below to determine if you meet the program requirements and can perform the job functions.
- Read and check all items on the Pre-Enrollment Checklist. If you do not meet all the requirements on the checklist, do not continue with the enrollment process. Some situations may require further clarification; contact us if you have a question about an item on the list. Contact information is located at the end of this document.
- Read and review the program Essential Functions to find out if you can perform the job skills.
- Click here to read a description of the program.
2. If you meet all the requirements and believe you can perform the job skills, continue with these next steps:
- Schedule and complete a Department of Transportation (DOT) physical. A suggested clinic is: Concentra Urgent Care @ 3745 33rd St. N. St. Petersburg, 727- 231-0154. The cost is approximately $60; please tell the receptionist that you will be attending Pinellas Technical College. DO NOT DRUG TEST!
- Obtain your 3-year Motor Vehicle Report (MVR). This report cannot be more than 45 days old on the first day of the class you want to enter. You can order online at dmvflorida.org/driving-records *or* visit your local DMV office.
- Obtain a CDL Class "A” learner’s permit.
- Click here to obtain the Florida CDL study handbook.
- Study sections 2, 3, 5, and 6 and take the written tests at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
- There’s no charge to take the first test.
- The CDL Class "A” learner’s permit is good for only six months, so it’s best to acquire the permit just prior to the start date of class.
- Florida CDL Handbook - www3.flhsmv.gov/handbooks/englishcdlhandbook.pdf
3. Begin the registration process through Student Services, 727-893-2500, extension 2520.
- Print, complete, sign, and date the Statement of Eligibility
- Submit all your documents at Pinellas Technical College, St. Petersburg Campus, 901 – 34th Street South, St. Petersburg, FL 33711
To reserve your seat in the next available class, you need to turn in all your documents no earlier than 45 days before your desired class start date, wait on the trucking office to contact you for approval, and then report back to meet with a counselor, complete your registration, and pay your fees.
Once you have completed all steps satisfactorily, you will go to the bookstore and pay all required fees.
Please refer to the Program Expenses document to identify the total costs of the program.
Refer to the Class Schedule document for upcoming start dates and daily schedule.
Class hours are 7:00am to 2:00pm, Monday through Thursday. Report to the Truck Driving (CVD) classroom promptly at 7:00am on the start date of class.
If you have any questions or concerns, email Mary Okeefe at firstname.lastname@example.org
Program length and costs are approximate, and subject to change.