Truck Driving Information
COMMERCIAL VEHICLE DRIVING (CVD) – TRUCK DRIVING PROGRAM ENROLLMENT PROCEDURE
Due to compliance issues at both federal and state levels, there are several steps involved in the enrollment procedure for the Truck Driving program.
Print this procedure to ensure you complete all steps. To obtain each form, just click on the specific form/document as you go through the process. Please follow each step in the order specified below.
1. Review the two documents listed below to determine if you meet the program requirements and can perform the job functions.
- Read and check all items on the Pre-Enrollment Checklist. If you do not meet all the requirements on the checklist, do not continue with the enrollment process. Some situations may require further clarification; contact an instructor if you have a question about an item on the list. Contact information is located at the end of this document.
- Read and review the program Essential Functions to find out if you can perform the job skills.
- Click here to read a description of the program.
If you meet all the requirements and believe you can perform the job skills continue to step #2.
2. Print, complete, sign, and date the two documents below; save them for step #3, the interview.
Once you’ve completed these documents, proceed to step #3.
3. Complete the registration process through Student Services, 727-893-2500, extension 2520.
Pinellas Technical College, St. Petersburg Campus, 901 – 34th Street South, St. Petersburg, FL 33711
To reserve your seat in the next available class, you complete the following steps in this order:
- First turn in your completed Statement of Eligibility, Motor Vehicle Check Disclosure Release and Disclaimer, and provide two (2) documents as proof of Florida residency for one year.
Second, pay (money order, cash, or credit card – Visa or MasterCard) the non-refundable amount of $30.00 on the day of your registration. This amount covers the following costs: $15 application fee and the $15.00 fee for the Motor Vehicle Report (MVR).
- Third, complete the following:
- Click here to complete the Background Check – $48.50.
- A completed Department of Transportation (DOT) physical. A suggested clinic is Lakeside Occupational/St. Anthony’s at 3745 – 33rd Street North in St. Petersburg (727-231-0154). The cost is approximately $55; please tell the receptionist that you will be attending Pinellas Technical College. DO NOT DRUG TEST!
- Obtain a CDL Class "A” learner’s permit. Click here to obtain the Florida CDL study handbook. Study sections 2, 3, 5, and 6 and take the written tests at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). There’s no charge to take the first test. The CDL Class "A” learner’s permit is good for only six months, so it’s best to acquire the permit just prior to the start date of class.
- "CDL Study Guide & Pass the Test" www.passthecdltest.wix.com/studyguide
Once you have completed steps 1-3 satisfactorily, go to the bookstore and pay all required fees.
Refer to the Class Schedule document for upcoming start dates and daily schedule.
Class hours are 7:00am to 2:00pm, Monday through Thursday. Report to the Truck Driving (CVD) classroom promptly at 7:00am on the start date of class.
If you have any questions or concerns, email Laura Kingsland at email@example.com.
* Length of program and all costs are approximate and subject to change.