Bay Point Elementary opened in 1962 in south St. Petersburg, moving into its current home in 2000. The math, science, technology and Spanish language magnet program was initiated in the 1993-1994 school year to facilitate integration as required by the Federal desegregation mandate. It is a District-wide magnet school and students are admitted through lottery. The curriculum is aligned with the magnet programs of adjacent Bay Point Middle School and Lakewood High School's Center for Advancement of the Sciences and Technology (CAST) Program.
"Through our curriculum, we will facilitate learning by providing relevant, multidimensional learning experiences. We will place a special emphasis on the integrated applications of mathematics, science, foreign language and technology to prepare students to function productively in our global environment."
School Phone: 727.552.1449
School Fax: 727.552.1455
Monday through Friday
8:45 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.
Enrollment and Program:
- Approximately 655 students with a variety of eduational needs
- 100% of the students are included in the magnet program. For details about applying see the Program link
- School uniforms are mandatory. Students wear navy or khaki bottoms with either a navy blue or white collared shirt, or a BPE logo T-Shirt. Please refer to the School Uniform link more information.
- About 32 regular education units for students in Kindergarten through grade 5 as well as 1 VPK unit.
- Spanish instruction from one of our three Spanish-language teachers is offered 3 days a week. In addition students may visit our Spanish lab, Café Olé, for enrichment activities
- Science Lab and outdoor learning areas
- Computer Lab and mobile computer labs with a qualified Tech instructor
- Art classes participate in district showcases
- Music classes with Winter and Spring concerts, and a 4th and 5th Grade Chorus.
- Media specialist who instructs students in research methods and offers story-time for the younger set. The library has Kindles loaded with Sunshine State Readers for students to check out, in addition to the many books available
- Grades level class set of Kindle Fires available for Student use
- Physical Education offered 3 days a week
- Speech therapists and literacy success teachers are on staff
- Exceptional Student Education (ESE) programs are available for eligible students in all grades
- Gifted (one teacher provide classes on-site one day per week)
- VE resource services are available part-time and are delivered as student appropriate for least restrictive environment
- Communication Disorders (part time)
- ESOL Certified Teaching Staff
- Parents and students must sign the Magnet Commitment Agreement agreeing to strive to maintain high academic, attendance and behavioral standards.
- Parents are strongly encouraged to register to volunteer and participate in school functions including field trips and special events
- In addition, parents are expected to attend teacher conferences and should plan to come to some of the workshops and trainings offered
- Bay Point Elementary has a strong Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) that supports the school and its families through fundraisers and fun and educational activities. Membership in the PTA is encouraged though not required
Some Features of Our Program:
- Arterial bus transport is available at this time for students outside the 2-mile radius
- On-site YMCA program which offers before and after school care. Call 727-867-4299 for information.
- Competitions students have successfully competed in during the 2017-18 school year:
- PRIDE Award
- Gifted Math Meet
- Battle of the Books
- Super Scientist Science Competition
- Student leadership opportunities include:
- Principal’s Multicultural Advisory Committee
- BPE Morning News -closed circuit TV broadcast staffed by students
- Safety Patrol
- Breakfast Optimist Club's Citizen of the Month
- Student of the Week
- Special programs unique to Bay Point Elementary include:
- Butterfly Garden
- Vegetable and flower gardens
- 100% participation in the Science Fair
- Outdoor learning centers