Commercial Vehicle Driving
Length 320 Hours Admissions Contact
Nancy Randolph | RANDOLPHN@pcsb.org
Flyer Download Program Costs Download
View the Truck Driving page for detailed information.
Mission: The mission of this program is to help individuals earn their CDL by providing cost-effective education and training to prepare them for a professional driving career.
Why Attend Pinellas Technical College?
- Small Class Size
Program I490205 consists of the following course.
Tractor Trailer Truck Driver – Course TRA0080 (320 hours) - This program consists of one course and includes classroom, range driving, and 1,000 miles of hands-on road driving on a variety of roads and conditions. Content includes D.O.T. safety regulations, understanding and complying with vehicle operation regulations, cargo handling and trip planning, vehicle inspection, maintenance and servicing, basic vehicle control procedures and basic vehicle maneuvers. Upon satisfactory completion of all requirements, students will be tested on-site for their Class A Commercial Drivers License (CDL). Those passing will obtain their license from the Department of Motor Vehicles office.
Special Admission Requirements: Students must have a safe driving record, meet background criteria consistent with industry standards, and comply with state and federal licensing requirements. Most employers require employees to be at least 21 years of age. Prospective students between 19-21 years of age will be required to show proof of employment prior to enrollment in the program. Proof of employment in the trucking industry must be a letter (on company letterhead) of intent to hire the individual. Students will submit to a drug screening and background check.
Additional Training/Testing Offered:
- Third-party testing for license classes "A”, "B”, "C”, and Passenger Endorsement
- "Train the Trainer” – for industry personnel to acquire a third-party CDL Testers Certificate issued by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (Tallahassee, FL) – 50 hours
Please call 727-893-2500, extension 2555 for specific dates and times.
The Commercial Vehicle Driving (CVD) program is a combination of academic theory, driving experience on the campus driving range, and driving experience on the road. The academic theory part of the CVD program is delivered through our school's learning management system (LMS). For additional information go to the 'Online Programs and Courses' page.
Industry Certification(s): Class A Commercial Drivers License (CDL)
- Florida CDL Handbook - www3.flhsmv.gov/handbooks/englishcdlhandbook.pdf
- National Association of Publicly Funded Truck Driving Schools - www.napftds.org
- Women in Trucking - www.WomenInTrucking.org
- Florida Trucking Association - www.FLTrucking.org
- Truckload Carriers Association - www.truckload.org
- American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators - www.aamva.org
- Potential Employers of Graduates
Minimum Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirement: 80%
Minimum Attendance Requirement: 80%
Program length and costs are approximate, and subject to change.