Machining - Apprenticeship
Tampa Bay Machining Apprenticeship Program
Admissions Contact: Rich McConnaughey, (727) 538 - 7167, ext. 2062, McConnaugheyR@pcsb.org
Total Cost: $135 + Certs
Mission: The mission of the Tampa Bay Machining Apprenticeship is to improve business, people, and communities through precision machining training.
Description: The Machining Apprenticeship offered at PTC is the curriculum of The National Institute for Metalworking Skills (NIMS) Apprenticeship's. This is a competency-based program that allows students to complete modules based on their level of skill proficiency which shortens the amount of time required to complete the program. There are several benefits to this program such as an easy-to-follow curriculum, standardized testing, and opportunities that can result in nationally recognized certifications. NIMS offers 10 different Apprenticeships which include Machinist, CNC Machinist, Tool & Die maker and Mold Maker.
2019 - 2020 Class Schedule
Hours: Monday & Wednesday, 5:00pm – 9:00pm
Term Start Dates End Dates 1 Mon, May 13, 2019 Wed, Jul 10, 2019 2 Mon, Aug 19, 2019 Wed, Oct 16, 2019 3 Wed, Oct 23, 2019 Wed, Dec 18, 2019 4 Wed, Jan 8, 2020 Wed, Mar 4, 2020 5 Mon, Mar 9, 2020 Wed, May 6, 2020
2020 "No School" Days
- Wed, Jan 1, 2020 - Winter Break
- Mon, Jan 6, 2020 - No School for Students
- Mon, Jan 20, 2020 - MLK Day/Term Break
- Mon, Feb 17, 2020 - ProEd Day
- Mon, Mar 16 & Wed, Mar 18, 2020 - Spring Break
- Mon, Mar 23, 2020 - ProEd Day
Requirements: An applicant must be 18 years of age or older and have a high school diploma or GED (copy required). It is also a requirement that you be working at a company that will sponsor you through your Apprenticeship making sure you receive the training you need.
Get started: If you meet the above requirements, schedule and complete an interview with the Machining Apprenticeship Coordinator. You will also need to take the TABE (Test of Adult Basic Education).
Cost: There are some expenses that are recommended that your company assist the Apprentices with covering:
· Registration fee of $40.00
· Books for the NIMS program cost $95.00 when you purchase them online from Delmar Cengage Learning. The book that we use is titled Precision Machining Technology and Precision Machining Technology Workbook.
· Each certification costs $35.00 for level 1 certification and $50.00 for level 2 & 3 certification. There are 12 to 16 certifications available depending on the Apprenticeship.
· The cost of the classes is paid for by the State of Florida.
(727) 538-7167, ext. 2062
* Length of program and all costs are approximate and subject to change.