Promotion Board Questions
Drill and Ceremony
- Q. Most drill commands have two parts, what are they?
Preparatory command and command of execution.
- Q. Name the rest positions at the halt.
Parade rest; stand at ease; at ease; rest.
- Q. What rest position is only executed from the position of attention?
- Q. What are the lengths of the following steps?
QuickTime: 30 inches
Double Time: 30 inches
Backward Step: 15 inches
Half Step: 15 inches
- Q. What is a line formation?
A formation in which the elements are side by side or abreast of each other.
- Q. What is a column formation?
A formation in which the elements are one behind the other.
- Q. What is the only command that is executed by stepping off with the right foot?
Right step march.
- Q. While marching what is the required swing of the arms to the front and rear?
Nine inches to the front and six inches to the rear.
- Q. What are the three methods of instruction used to teach drill?
1) Step by Step, 2) Talk Through, and 3) By the Numbers.
- Q. Name the three parts of a properly structured learning objective:
The Task, 2) Condition, and 3) Standard.
- Q. What are the four parts of a lesson plan?
1) Introduction, 2) Body, 3) Summary, and 4) Supplemental Information
- Define Leadership.
Leadership is influencing people by providing purpose,
direction, and motivation while operating to accomplish the mission and improving the organization
- What is the Army Birthday?
June 14, 1775
- Q. How many leadership traits are there?
- Name the three basic leadership styles:
1) Directing, 2) Participating, and 3) Delegating
- What are the three elements that make up your potential?
1) Natural ability and talent, 2) Knowledge and education, and 3) Inner desire and motivation
- How many leadership principles are there?
- There are five types of counseling, name three of them?
1) Performance, 2) Discipline, 3) Personal, 4) Career, and 4) Professional
- Name the four values a leader must posses:
1) Candor, 2) Courage, 3) Competence, and 4) Commitment
- What should you look for when recommending an individual for promotion?
Overall performance, attitude, leadership ability, and development potential.
- What is confidence?
Projecting self-confidence and certainty in the unit's ability to succeed in
Whatever it does; able to demonstrate composure and outward calm
Through steady control over emotion.
- Q. Who sits on a promotion board?
The board may be comprised of all officers, all non-commissioned officers or
mixed. In all cases, members must be senior in grade to those being considered for promotion.
- Q. When was the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag officially recognized?
22 June, 1942 by an act of Congress.
- Q. The drive that comes from within yourself, is called:
- Q. How many stripes does the American flag have?
13 stripes (7 red and 6 white)
- Q. What do the colors on the flag represent?
- Red-Hardiness and Valor
- White-Purity and Innocence
- Blue- Vigilance, Preservation and Justice
- Q. How is the American flag raised to the half-staff position?
It is first raised all the way to the top of the staff for an instant, then
Lowered to half staff
- Q. If a flag is in the half-staff position, how is it lowered?
It is first raised to the top of the staff for a brief moment, and then it is lowered
WEAR AND APPEARANCE OF UNIFORM
- Q. What are the dimensions of the dress uniform nameplate?
1 x 3 x1/16 of an inch
- Q. Which direction does the belt tab on the army belt extend to on the male Class B uniform?
The wearer’s left
- Q. Which direction does the belt tab on the army belt extend to on the female Class B uniform?
The wearer’s right
- Q. How are service ribbons worn on the male Class B uniform?
The ribbons centered 1⁄8 inch above the left breast pocket.
Ribbon mounts will remain centered above the pocket.
- Q. How many inches high is your star supposed to be?
1/8 of an inch