Dress Code Guidelines
Students in the fundamental schools are expected to exercise good judgment and dress in a responsible manner. The Code of Student Conduct lists the dress code for all Pinellas County schools. All clothing must be worn in the manner in which it was designed to be worn. All dress and grooming rules will be enforced. Students violating the dress code will be sent to the office to call their parents and request a change of clothing. The student may be issued a warning or a detention for repeated violations of the dress code policy.
We also expect parents to use good judgment when volunteering in and/or visiting the school, and dress in a manner consistent with the student dress code.
Any exception to the dress code policies must be approved by the school administration. Administration shall be the final judge as to the neatness and cleanliness of wearing apparel and whether or not such apparel is appropriate, disruptive, distracting, or in violation of health and safety rules.
Students may wear uniform shorts approved by the school, and from a designated vendor. Students must wear socks, tights, or stockings and shoes appropriate for physical activity. The fundamental elementary school has dress requirements, which are in addition to the Code of Student Conduct. Students must adhere to the following dress code.
Acceptable dress in the fundamental elementary school includes:
- Shirts, blouses, sweaters with sleeves
- Jeans, pants, slacks, sweat pants, nylon jogging pants
- Uniform shorts (from a designated vendor such as Cherokee, French Toast, At-Class, In-Design, etc.) that are solid khaki or navy blue (no patterns) in color. Cargo shorts – uniform or non-uniform – are not acceptable.
- Shorts, skirts, or dresses may not be shorter than three inches above the knee.
- Sweaters or jackets when desired
- Leggings or jeggings can be worn with a skirt or dress. Skirts or dresses must be no more than three inches above the knee even when wearing leggings or jeggings.
Unacceptable dress in the fundamental elementary school includes:
- Sleeveless shirts, tank tops, sleeveless dresses, or sleeveless blouses
- Pants shorter than ankle length (unless they are approved shorts)
- Clothing that has holes or tears on knees, front, back, or other strategically placed locations
- Bare-midriff dresses, blouses, or shirts
- See-through shirts or blouses, halter dresses, or “tops” with spaghetti straps
- Skorts, culottes, or divided skirts
- Backless shoes, thongs, or sandals
- Hats, sunglasses, and bandanas, except when permitted by Administration
- Clothing which displays profanity, sexually suggestive phrases, alcohol, tobacco, drugs, or advertisements for such products or other phrases
- Any item of clothing deemed disruptive by school administration
- Skirts must be no more than three inches above the knee, even with leggings, or jeggings.
- Spandex, jeggings or leggings with a shirt, pajamas, or yoga pants would NOT be appropriate.
- Prohibited are hairstyles and unnatural hair colors (to include streaks) (ex: red, blue, green hair not permitted), and other fashion styles, which are disruptive to the school environment or educational process.
**When a child receives their fourth dress code warning letter, it will be accompanied with an infraction notice.