History of Skycrest Elementary School
Skycrest Elementary opened in 1952 with 12 classrooms and 280 students on land that 10 years before had been a gladiola farm. At that time, Clearwater had a population of close to 40,000 people and was growing rapidly. Ten years later, the school population was 545 and eight classrooms were added. The Media Center and Kindergarten pod were built in 1972.
Major construction took place again in 1995 when two Kindergarten classrooms and a first grade pod were added and the Administration building was renovated. Continuous improvements and additions have modernized the classrooms. A two-story building was also added with classrooms and offices.
Like most schools in Pinellas County, Skycrest is utilizing portable buildings to provide classrooms for tutoring, PE and ESOL staff.