East Lake Academy of Engineering announces partnership with MIT
and the Creation of "Eagle Works"
See the attached press release for more information about this exciting new program at East Lake!
Engineering Academy Mission Statement
To attend this program, parents must submit an online application during the Application Period. The Application Period usually takes place in January. This four-year program focuses on science, technology, engineering and math. The program format is provided by Project Lead the Way through Rochester Institute of Technology and offers an introduction to the following:
PLTW Engineering Students Become Tomorrow's Problem Solvers Today
"From launching space explorations to delivering safe, clean water to communities, engineers find solutions to pressing problems and turn their ideas into reality. PLTW Engineering empowers students to step into the role of an engineer, adopt a problem-solving mindset, and make the leap from dreamers to doers. The program’ s courses engage students in compelling, real-world challenges that help them become better collaborators and thinkers. Students take from the courses in-demand knowledge and skills they will use in high school and for the rest of their lives, on any career path they take.
PLTW Engineering courses are part of the AP + PLTW engineering pathway" (PLTW website 2018).
- Strengthens the core PLTW Curriculum
- Offers a 4 year pre-engineering, technical career-based and college preparatory program
- Creates a dynamic partnership between the local community, industry, and East Lake HS
- Is intended for and designed to meet the needs of aspiring Engineers
- Understand technology as a tool for problem solving
- Understand the scientific process, engineering problem solving, and the application of technology
- Preparation for the rigors of college level engineering programs and technical careers
- Understand technical systems as they interface with complimentary systems
- Use the principles of mathematics in their application to real world problem solving
- Communicate effectively using reading, writing, and listening and speaking skills
- Demonstrate the ability to be creative and innovative
- Complete 4 years of sequential course work
- Earn a minimum of one industry certification
- Complete a minimum of 1 AP Course
- Complete a 4 year Capstone Project
If your child applied to the Engineering Academy for high and your student is not currently in a Pinellas County School, you will need to submit the following:
- Discipline record or a letter of good standing from the principal
- Achievement records
Fax to 727-942-5441
firstname.lastname@example.org for high school students